New Camera?

mhend

Well, it looks like I have to buy a new camera. You guys had some great advice about my TV situation, so I am coming back for more. :)

I'm wanting to buy a DSLR. I have always had a Nikon 35mm, so I am used to the way they work, but I have been told good things about Olympus. Does anyone have any advice?

The Kodak I use right now is pretty much dead. I have had weird luck with electronics lately. I'm beginning to think I'm in a Maximum Overdrive situation here. :yum:

Lefty

Yank
I dont think you can go wrong with either Nikon or Canon as far as a DSLR. I prefer Canon and am leaning toward getting the T2i when money gets right again. The Canon's menus are real simple and easy to get used to. When I retire, (if ;) I retire) I would love to get a bunch of lenses and a couple of cameras and just move around taking pictures of everything I can. I would love to do a coffee table book with nothing but photos of New England.

mhend

That would be lovely! New England is my favorite place. I would love to retire there. I have a couple of lenses for my Nikon 35mm. I think they will work on the Nikon DSLR's, but I don't know if they will work on any other brand.

Lefty

Yank
No they will not. If you have Nikon lenses, it would be worthwhile checking some photography sites to see if they would work with one of the Nikon DSLRs.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I bought a Sony Alpha largely as it was cheaper than a comparable Nikon or Canon. I have had no complaints. Picture quality is quite good. It is smaller than Canon or Nikon, and may not feel comfortable in the hands of some. Minolta lenses will fit it. I think that is true with Canon and Nikon.

mhend

That is a great deal, Lefty! Thanks for passing on the info. I am seriously thinking about this one...

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I've been slowly working my way out of real film into digital as well.

I have a Canon F1 film SLR and bunch of FD style lens. none of the old Canon optic lens 'work' with their new digital cameras because they changed the focal distance lens to film/imaging plate. in Canon's specific case you can get adapters, those without optics prevent the lens from focusing to infinity but preserve the optical qualities; those with optics - well the optics are not up to par with the original lens optics and quality suffers (made in China by the cheapest supplier. . . ) Canon is not supporting their old customers transitioning to the new EOS models.

for many of the other old guard camera names, the lens may indeed "fit" and be usable in their digital cameras but specific features like auto-focus, exposure, various exposure over ride methods, etc., may not be supported. which makes perfect sense - if you had to manually focus / set exposure on your old film SLR, is it reasonable to expect a new digital SLR to be capable of auto-focusing a old style manual lens...?

there's also a price point difference in digital SLR with non-interchangeable lens vs the more traditional SLR approach / ability to use many different lens.

you can find very good expertise at:
http://community.compuserve.com/photography

mhend

Think I have decided on the Nikon D5000. It has a few more perks than the 3000. I've been looking at it for a long time now and it feels good to finally decide. I love the way it feels it my hands, and all the controls are conveniently located. It will record HD video, but I don't think autofocus works for that.

I found a pretty good price online, but I'm gonna try and find it locally so I can have it for a little mini trip we are taking.

Thanks for the advice, guys! :)