Need info - REAL Pit Q'ing

High Cheese

Saucier
I'd like to do a whole hog this year, or at the very least some ribs and some shoulders. Dig the pit, get the stones and all. Looking for as much info and photos as possible. TIA

High Cheese

Saucier
Sure, come help me dig. lol

Thanks for the link. I want to try to get as much info as possible to see the different techniques and such.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I remember seeing a BBQ competition show where part of the competition was to build the cooker. It's been a while, but I remember the main materials being cinder blocks, and sheets of tin roofing.

I bet a cursory internet search will yield lots of design approaches. People are proud to show off their homemade BBQ contraptions.

High Cheese

Saucier
Along these lines, no bricks

BarbequePrep.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We did a couple of shoulders once by wrapping them in foil and then a blanket, buried them 8-10 inches in the ground, and then built a huge bonfire on top of them. Ran the fire most of the night, stoked it well, and went to bed. We dug them up the next day, and they were still hot. They were fall apart tender and juicy, but naturally, no smoke flavor. So you need really good seasonings when you do it this way.

High Cheese

Saucier
The way I intended was to dig a hole, then line with rock of some sort as a heat retainer, build a fire and create alot of charcoal. Then somehow prep the meat to be placed on the charchoal and covered overnight. I think that one link talks about using damp burlap, then cover with the dirt you dug out. IDK, I need to read more on it.

I wonder if the lawn will grow back? lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've read about people that will dig a hole in the ground, and then bury a barrel in that hole. They cut the top and bottom out of the barrel. This allows the fire to rest on the dirt floor, and then they fashion a tight fitting lid for the top of the barrel.

The barrel is buried flush with the ground. Then you add rocks to the barrel to fill it about 1/4 of the way. Now build a huge fire on those rocks. Once the fire has burned down to coals and the rocks are good and hot, throw green leaves and/or grass on top of the rocks. You can use dry grass, but you should soak it in water first.

The meat should be wrapped in a porous burlap sack, and then thrown directly on top of the grass and leaves. The sack keeps the leaves off the meat, but also allows steam and smoke to penetrate and get to the meat.

The purpose of the leaves and grass is to keep the meat from being in direct contact with the coals where it could scorch or burn. Also, you get the aromatic quality of the smoldering leaves that are in direct contact with the embers.

Once the meat is lying on the leaves, you put the lid on the barrel, and then cover the lid with dirt. Let it sit for 20 or so hours, then dig it up and eat it.

Making a barrel pit makes your pit far more re-usable and easier to maintain.

However, you can do this without the barrel. You simply dig a big hole, fill it with rocks or bricks and start a huge fire. Once the fire is down to embers, throw on your green leaves and grass, add the meat, then cover the whole pit with a couple of blankets, and then cover the whole thing up with dirt.