My first pasta!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I saw an episode of Martha's Cooking School awhile back and since the free pasta roller and fettuccine cutter came for my mixer, I decided to use the recipe from her episode. It turned out wonderful if I do say so myself :lol:

2 cups of flour
3 large eggs
pinch of salt
and a little Olive Oil

Pulsed it in the food processor a few times. Kneaded a few times by hand and then rolled it and cut it. It was fun!

I used the noodles to make chicken noodle soup.

Attachments

• noodles.jpg
    noodles.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 221
  • dinner09142013.jpg
    dinner09142013.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 392

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmm looks good.
Reminds me that thanksgiving day is getting close when DW always makes awesome homemade noodles. just like your recipe but no olive oil. I'll mention that option to her and maybe she'll try it that way.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Doc! I can't wait to make lasagna for Thanksgiving with sheets of homemade pasta!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks spectacular, Mama!

Beautiful job!

Have fun with it!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Lee! Now I wanna get one of these :biggrin:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32pVBck4S8Y[/ame]

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I saw an episode of Martha's Cooking School awhile back and since the free pasta roller and fettuccine cutter came for my mixer, I decided to use the recipe from her episode. It turned out wonderful if I do say so myself :lol:

2 cups of flour
3 large eggs
pinch of salt
and a little Olive Oil

Pulsed it in the food processor a few times. Kneaded a few times by hand and then rolled it and cut it. It was fun!

I used the noodles to make chicken noodle soup.

Looks Great!

attachment.php

Leni

My grandmother used to make what she called Old Hen and Noodles. She's get a hen that no longer laid eggs and slow roast it. In the meantime she'd make homemade egg noodles. We the grandchildren had a great time unrolling the noodles and tossing them in flour. Needless to say a few found their way into our tummies. She would cook the noodles in the drippings with extra butter.

I'm the only one of the granddaughters who made those noodles so she gave me her recipe and her noodle making bowl. Needless to say I treasure it. It is in a very safe place away from usual activities so it doesn't get broken.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Fine job there, Mama. For a different twist, make the noodles with 50/50 white/wheat flour, and put some dried basil when using the noodles for Italian meals. My family prefers pasta made this way instead of white flour.

If your hubby is handy, he can make a drying rack for you like this one that I made. These are the basil infused 50/50 noodles I made for Fettuccine Alfredo for DD's birthday in August.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Congrat's on your new toy! It sure puts my little hand crank gadget to shame. Beautiful noodles :clap:

Leni

What she did was put flour into the bowl and make a well in the center. She then broke an egg into it, added a pinch of salt, and some milk. She would take a fork and stir the center of the flour extending it outward until she had the consistancy that she wanted. Most of the time not all of the flour was incorporated. Actually no measurements at all. She'd knead the dough on a floured surface then roll it out. She'd dust the surface with flour and roll it up and cut it into 1/2 widths.

Our job (the grandkids) was to unroll these, break them into shorter lengths and toss them with a fair amount of flour. The extra flour would help dry the noodles. She did not hang the noodles to dry. After about an hour the noodles would be cooked in the drippings of the old hen that she had roasted along with a fair amount of butter. Some of the extra flour would be used to thicken the gravy.

Sorry that I don't have an actual recipe but you can find one on the web and just use her method of preparing the noodles. She lived on the edge of farm country in Missouri so she could order an old hen that had stopped laying eggs. It was big and tough so it needed long slow brazing. It would release a lot of juice. We can't get old hens for the most part so I use a roasting hen and add chicken broth so I have enough liquid to cook the noodles.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Congrat's on your new toy! It sure puts my little hand crank gadget to shame. Beautiful noodles :clap:
Don't poo-poo the hand crank machine. It's all I use to make all my pasta. I actually wore out a couple of them and had to throw them out. I guess it's possible to overwork them. I actually find it therapeutic using the manual machine.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I do similar to joe. Half white flour and half semolina.

I made ladagnia with it and it was delish.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Don't poo-poo the hand crank machine. It's all I use to make all my pasta. I actually wore out a couple of them and had to throw them out. I guess it's possible to overwork them. I actually find it therapeutic using the manual machine.

I like my manual machine. It does the job just fine for me. I wasn't really poo-pooing :yum:, more commenting on the fact that hers has more attachments and is a lot fancier than mine.