my first hot sauce

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i couldnt wait for my peppers to ferment... hey their scotch bonnets they will be hot anyways..lol

ingredients

roasted garlic,onions,lime juice,apple cider vinegar,tequilla,dried apricots,salt

we test a jar in a couple of days and leave the rest for as long as i can...lol

i couldnt get any woozy bottles so i got these little jelly jars... 125ml jars

o5c0le.jpg

AllenOK

Sometimes smaller jars are the way to go.

Will this sauce hold indefinitely in the fridge, or will it eventually spoil, even refrigerated? If the sauce will spoil, then a smaller jar is probably better, as you won't loose as much product (sorry Wart). If the sauce is shelf-stable from the vinegar, then a bigger jar will make things easier when you can it.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Sometimes smaller jars are the way to go.

Will this sauce hold indefinitely in the fridge, or will it eventually spoil, even refrigerated? If the sauce will spoil, then a smaller jar is probably better, as you won't loose as much product (sorry Wart). If the sauce is shelf-stable from the vinegar, then a bigger jar will make things easier when you can it.

these jars are basically the same size as a woozy bottle(hot sauce bottle), if your acid ratio is done properly and your PH levels are correct then this sauce should in theory last as long as commercially bought sauce

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I would love to buy one of these from you. Love some home made sauces, jams and such out there.

AllenOK

I would love to buy one of these from you. Love some home made sauces, jams and such out there.

There was a big thread over on DC back in 2006. One of the members liked to make his own Habanero mash, and use that for sauce. He floated an idea on the forum about the details needed to produce, market, and sell such a product as a "home business" type thing, and possibly start interstate commerce.

There are a lot of requirements, such as a production shop that meets health code, insurance, legalities of interstate commerce, etc. If someone were to get sick, the person who produced the item could be held liable.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. As a professional, I'm aware of these kinds of things.

Now, a "gift" on the other hand, well, I can't think of anything bad about that. Heck, if someone were to present me with a "gift" of a hot sauce like this, I might just be inclined to return the favor :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ok I'll take it as a gift but insist on paying for the bottle and shipping then cause I sure won't send the bottle back. :smile:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yes i am aware of those things to my friend... i am also in the food service industry... have been most of my life... we have a small catering company. we have also owned and operated concession trailers at county & state fairs across the usa

i am going to be letting the stuff i just made age a little, open another jar and see if it needs anything.. if it passes the final tasting..i will be giving "gifts" away..lol

There was a big thread over on DC back in 2006. One of the members liked to make his own Habanero mash, and use that for sauce. He floated an idea on the forum about the details needed to produce, market, and sell such a product as a "home business" type thing, and possibly start interstate commerce.

There are a lot of requirements, such as a production shop that meets health code, insurance, legalities of interstate commerce, etc. If someone were to get sick, the person who produced the item could be held liable.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. As a professional, I'm aware of these kinds of things.

Now, a "gift" on the other hand, well, I can't think of anything bad about that. Heck, if someone were to present me with a "gift" of a hot sauce like this, I might just be inclined to return the favor :thumb:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
bump for pictures in hot sauce bottles and for reviews

for my own personal taste, i used a little too much salt this go around..when i opened the bottle for my own taste i liked a little more vinegar taste,so to each jar i added 2tsp apple cider vinegar...now..perfect.

so joec... i personally would add a couple of tsp of vinegar..

a full one
i36x5y.jpg

a full one and the remenants of the first bottle opened

11c5zli.jpg