Most Expensive Food Trivia

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
wild truffles are a tad pricy -

saffron I think holds the bucks per pound record - unless you're including gold foiled hamburgers, et. al.

oh, how about that recent billion dollar tuna . . . is that a "grown"?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good guesses, Chowder!

Kobe beef might be up there in the top?

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
How all this started was i was watching a show on Black Truffles and White Truffles tonight... There should have been a most expensive by category... so here goes...

in no particular order

Chocopologie – $2,600 per pound
8.jpg

The tastiest and most expensive chocolate in the world is Chocopologie by Knipschildt. At $2,600 per pound, this handmade chocolate truffle is available only if ordered. t contains a black truffle and 70% Valrhona cacao.
------------------------------------------------------------------
White Truffles
60_minutes_truffles_620_120105_620x350.jpg

European white truffles sell for as much as $3,600 a pound. One two-pound truffle recently sold for more than $300,000.
-------------------------------------------
Almas caviar
21.jpg

This caviar is white, and it comes from beluga which is over 100 years old. Beluga sturgeon, the largest fish and only predator in the sturgeon family, can take up to 20 years to reach maturity. It is believed, that the whiter the caviar the older the fish and the more exquisite the flavor. Almas Iranian caviar is extremely expensive. It is sold only in 24K gold tin for $2000 per 100 gram. The only known outlet is the Caviar House & Prunier in London England’s Picadilly that sells a kilo of the expensive Almas caviar in a 24-karat gold tin for £16,000, or about $25,000.
----------------------------------------------------
Wagyu Steak
71.jpg

Japanese Wagyu meat, also known as 'Kobe'-style beef, has been enjoying increasing popularity.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,SansSerif]Experts and gourmets who have recently discovered Wagyu meat consider it to be the most tender, most succulent and tastiest meat in the world.Prices are correspondingly high. An average carcass costs between $ 10,000 and 20,000, with a record price of $ 250,000 (for food!!).[/FONT]
-----------------------------------------------------
Dansuke Watermelons – $6,100
51.jpg

Dansuke watermelons, a type of black watermelon grown only on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido, are usually given as gifts due to their extraordinary rarity. There were only sixty-five of the fruits among the first harvest this season. According to the AP, “a jumbo black watermelon auctioned in Japan on Friday fetched a record $6,100, making it one of the most expensive watermelons ever sold in the country.”

There are many more and i know for a fact that i will never try any of these foods...i am happy with beans and weiners..lol

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
dry-aged waygu beef if it exists, maybe. a prime cut.
i'm keying on the fact that...... well i'm not saying, bwaha.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
darnit, i knw it, lol! truffles, yeah, & some caviars were my initial thoughts, along w/ the beef. haven't read of the melon, tho. neat thread, bam.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
dry-aged waygu beef if it exists, maybe. a prime cut.
i'm keying on the fact that...... well i'm not saying, bwaha.

Wagyu is expensive but its not even close in price at only about $150/lb depending on market value. Generally in USA you are not getting a true Wagyu steak as the ones here were bred with the Angus breed.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
yeah, that's why i didn't put truffles. they're nowhere near as expensive as those ones on your list. they're sure good, tho!
i know 'bout the genuine waygu. i often am a skeptic when i see a steak/beef labelled 'certified angus'. i oft buy it, tho.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Great thread Bam. I was pulling for Saffron. I have to confess, I did a little searching after you posted. I didn't find any consistancy in the answers. It seems to be somewhere between $6,000.00 and $1,700.00 a pound, depending on where you read.

Thank you for posting. It is interesting and informative.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would love to try all of the above!

I'm skeptical about the fish eggs, since I've never met a caviar I've liked.

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i have eaten roe on sushi and gotta say some times its not bad..BUT to just dip a spoon into a jar of fish eggs is not going to happen, What would always come to mind is when i was cleaning Salmon in the fall and smelt in the spring...eggs..bait..lol