Man I must be dumb!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Two years ago I got my son a hamster, it lasted less than a year. Aside from the dogs trying to eat it all the time, by youngest daughter was always hiding it and trying to take it for swims.

Now, one of my eldest daughters friends is moving and has to give her gerbil away (I have no idea why). Dumb me agreed to let her have it, we are going to pick it up tomorrow cage and all.

Pray for the poor thing!!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
If she were to take the gerbil to the local pet shop, they will possibly take it. It's worth a try for her or you.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
You are not dumb...you are a parent. They're only little for awhile, so enjoy everything with them...the good and all the rest. Before you know it, they will be teenagers and you will be a moron (at least in their eyes), so enjoy the small things while they will still talk to you.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes be glad it is gerbils and hamsters. My kids had ferrets, skunks, raccoons, lizards up to 4 ft long, snakes, rabbits as well as cats and dogs. Walking into are Florida room was like jungle adventure for a few years.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have a restraining order against all snakes, they are not allowed within 100 yards of me!! LOL.

We brought it home today, jet black and a male (judging by the name Sox), cute little bugger. Yea the kids got me wrapped around their fingers, fun though LOL.

Someday they may figure out that all those toys I bought weren't really for them....:brows:

buckytom

Grill Master
what the joes said!!!

i got stuck with a red eared slider 2 years ago. turtle tanks stink, and need cleaning often.

at least if your kids misbehave, show them the recipe for south american cuy.

Peggy

Yeah, me too, like Joe said...my oldest was ALWAYS bringing home some kind of animal, he still blames me today, even though he is grown, that I let the mouse die he brought home, it was sick, I made him take it back to the field and it was dead the next day! Also, like Joe said, you are a parent, we are all suckers, lol! Enjoy them!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Gerbils and hamsters are pretty good pets in that they don't live all that long. We had ferrets for years and I love them. They are very social with humans and sweet as can be if they get enough attention. But they smell really bad and they live for up to 7 years. That's a long time for such high-maintenance, smelly pets.