Mama's Creamed Corn

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
8 ears corn
1 Tbsp sugar (this may vary depending upon how sweet your corn is)
1 Tbsp. Flour
2 Tbsp. bacon grease
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 to 1/2 cup cold water
1 Tbsp. Butter
salt and pepper to taste

Cut the kernels off the cob. After the kernels are removed, use a spoon to scrape down the cobs to remove all of the pulp.

Mix together the sugar and flour. Add to the corn. Mix in the heavy cream and 1/3 cup of water. Set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the bacon grease. Add the onion and sweat just until the onion is translucent (you don't want it to brown). Add the corn mixture and cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally until nice and creamy. It will thicken up a little more as it cools so you may need to add a little more water. Stir in the butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
That's something I'm gonna have to try. I love corn but never buy the canned stuff because it tastes so nasty. I usually buy the frozen whole corn. Could it be used instead of the cob corn?

LADawg

Sorry, but I don't know how you are going to get the same results using frozen corn. To me in order to get Creamed corn you MUST milk down the cobs in order to get all of the liquid out of the corn cob. But, what do I know.

I'll be trying this recipe in a week or two. Fresh corn will be coming in down here in Lower Alabama (LA) during the first or second week of June and will be available for a couple of months or more.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You're right LADawg that it won't be as good using frozen corn but I think it will still work.