Loco Moco, Hawaiian comfort food

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I could've sworn we had a recipe for this on NCT, but I couldn't find it.

Below is how I made it last night, adapted from an online recipe. We loved it!

It will be a regular menu item for Dad and me!

Lee

Loco Moco

Adapted from https://girlscangrill.com/recipe/loco-moco/

1 cup white rice uncooked

2 cups water

1 lb ground beef

Salt and pepper

1 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp flour

1 cup beef broth

1 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp butter

Pam

2 eggs

2 green onions sliced

Place rice, water and a sprinkle of salt into a covered microwavable container. Nuke on high for 5 minutes; nuke on medium for 11 ½ mins.

Shape the ground beef into four patties. Season both sides with salt and pepper.

Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties. Sear for 3 minutes. Flip. Cook for 2 more minutes. Remove the patties and set aside (keep warm).

Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the flour to the skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.

Add 1/2 cup beef broth to the skillet, and stir to combine.

Add the remaining beef broth and soy sauce. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

In another skillet (non-stick), spray Pam and heat over medium-high high. Crack the eggs into the pan, cover, and fry for 3-4 minutes, until the whites are cooked through. The yolks should remain loose.

Place a large circle cookie cutter (or burger shaper) on a plate. Fill with rice. Remove the cookie cutter.

Place a cooked patty on top of the rice. Spoon on a ladle of gravy. Top with a cooked egg, and garnish with green onions.

Loco Moco.JPG

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Easy meal tonight, since I thawed some great gravy that I had. Grilled pub burgers and nuked fresh green beans in thei bag.

Lee

Loco.jpg