Lettuce knife

Lefty

Yank
You made me google it. LOL

I may order one since they seem inexpensive enough and I go through more lettuce than a herd of rabbits at my house.

phreak

They are new to me too. I actually was researching where I could buy the beater blades posted on here for the Kitcheaid mixer when I came across a store near my house that I didn't know existed, and they have them. I might get into trouble when I get to this store http://www.foodies.net/index.html

It would be nice to clean and cut up a bunch of lettuce to keep in the fridge for fast salads and not worry about it wilting. Now that I think about it I think I saw a ceramic knife in the grocery store the other day, I wonder if it's for the same thing.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've seen these hanging in the supermarket before and wondered what the point was, however it says your lettuce won't brown after cutting with it, so maybe...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I simply use a good sharp knife as the lettuce knives I've seen are basically a serrated ceramic bladed knife. Any of my knives are a lot sharper than any ceramic knife on the planet. A sharp knife won't bruise (turn brown) fruits/vegetables like a dull one will.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I don't tend to shred a lot of lettuce anyway.
I like to cut a nice head into thick wedges, and serve it that way, because it's meatier as a side dish and more attractive.
When it comes to things like tacos etc.. then I just chop off and shred what I need and save the rest, hoping the remaining won't brown lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I tend to do the same thing Sass with both lettuce and cabbages. I don't think I've ever seen them brown after doing this but have seen it go bad sitting in the refrigerator before without ever cutting it.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have several of them I got at the dollar store. They work great for lettuce and also slicing cake. I have them so the young kids can help in the kitchen.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I have several of them I got at the dollar store. They work great for lettuce and also slicing cake. I have them so the young kids can help in the kitchen.

Ah, there is a reason. Wonderful idea, FM. Personally I wouldn't substitute something less than a knife for a knife, but then again, those grandchildren....

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I forgot - another reason I like these knives is so I can take them when I take a cake somewhere. If I accidentally forget to bring it home - it's no biggie. If you have a local dollar store, they always have them - usually 2/$1.

homecook

That's a great idea Terry. I'll have to pick up a couple for when my grandsons come over...thanks!

I very seldom cut my lettuce.......I usually just tear it. No knife needed. lol

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That's a great idea Terry. I'll have to pick up a couple for when my grandsons come over...thanks!
They really are great for kids. They actually do cut, but they are lightweight, cheap, safe and almost indestructible (they will melt if left on the stove). You could cut yourself a little if you sawed back and forth on your hand or something, but pretty much you can hand one to a kid with no worries.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
They really are great for kids. They actually do cut, but they are lightweight, cheap, safe and almost indestructible (they will melt if left on the stove). You could cut yourself a little if you sawed back and forth on your hand or something, but pretty much you can hand one to a kid with no worries.

The voice of experience? LOL

homecook

(they will melt if left on the stove) LOL.......gee could that be from experience?? I'll make sure they're used at the table. They're 5 and 9 so I think they'll be able to handle it.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
"everyone says" cutting lettuce using a metal knife hastens browning.

has anyone ever found actual factual document / proof of this?
(ps: I personally don't accept places selling plastic knives as an 'authority')

see:
oss.mcgill.ca/yasked/brownlettuce.pdf

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
"everyone says" cutting lettuce using a metal knife hastens browning.

has anyone ever found actual factual document / proof of this?
(ps: I personally don't accept places selling plastic knives as an 'authority')

see:
oss.mcgill.ca/yasked/brownlettuce.pdf

Yeah. Carbon steel knives before patina sets in will create brown spots. No problem with stainless steel though and that's 99.9% of the knives used in domestic kitchens.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
but buzz - I can't find any real science research/statements to that effect.

it is 'said' the iron reacts,
it is 'said' it browns faster,

but no university / science oriented group has published any actual facts backed up by <?>

the chemistry behind the browning is semi-understood - this blurp reacts with that blurp and . . . but in all that there's no mention of knives making it worse or better.

same for tearing vs cutting - it is 'said' - but there's no 'proof' to be found.
the pdf does state ". . . experiments do not bear this out . . ." re. tearing vs cutting but offers no leads to the source of that statement.
at least McGill doesn't do mail order degrees, or sell plastic knives, so one might give it some credibility.

there's no question that lettuce oxidizes & turns brown - but I have never found any test / experiments / data past 'they say . . .' to support the plastic knife.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
but buzz - I can't find any real science research/statements to that effect.

it is 'said' the iron reacts,
it is 'said' it browns faster,

but no university / science oriented group has published any actual facts backed up by <?>

the chemistry behind the browning is semi-understood - this blurp reacts with that blurp and . . . but in all that there's no mention of knives making it worse or better.

same for tearing vs cutting - it is 'said' - but there's no 'proof' to be found.
the pdf does state ". . . experiments do not bear this out . . ." re. tearing vs cutting but offers no leads to the source of that statement.
at least McGill doesn't do mail order degrees, or sell plastic knives, so one might give it some credibility.

there's no question that lettuce oxidizes & turns brown - but I have never found any test / experiments / data past 'they say . . .' to support the plastic knife.

I hear ya. I'm no expert on metallurgy but the cooking areas of dedicated knife sites verify discoloring by carbon steel. As to tearing vs cutting I defer to the Japanese and their sashimi cutting necessities. They claim to be able to taste the difference. :shock: I wouldn't know as I have been a cigar smoker since Viet Nam and it takes Joe Palooka like flavors to get my tongue's attention.

Lefty

Yank
I simply use a good sharp knife as the lettuce knives I've seen are basically a serrated ceramic bladed knife. Any of my knives are a lot sharper than any ceramic knife on the planet. A sharp knife won't bruise (turn brown) fruits/vegetables like a dull one will.

Joe, with all due respect, I have heard the metal makes lettuce react.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, with all due respect, I have heard the metal makes lettuce react.

It's a tossup, Lefty. Sharp, really sharp, knives do very little bruising, yet, if the blade is made of unpatinad carbon steel, discoloration can occur.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have one, but O don't keep it anywhere near the stove. It's with the utensils.

GotGarlic

Sorry, except for the practical uses FM has, it seems like a waste of kitchen space to me. A chef's knife will do the job just fine. I do it all the time and the lettuce stays crisp and green for up to 10 days. That's about as long as it should be expected to last anyway.

If only DH was still teaching experimental design, I'd have him suggest that one of his students do an experiment on this :smile: Hey, maybe I can get him to do an experiment :wink: