Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
??

FB_IMG_1621454493528.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL! Once she swept something off the counter (maybe bench flour) onto the floor and said, "Thankfully, I have a self-cleaning kitchen."

Hope those people weren't sitting there at the time!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have 6 seasons of her black and white shows on tubi.
Also 1 season of her and Jacques Pepin "Cooking At Home" ?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have met both Julia and Jacques, and have signed cookbooks from both. I took classes from Julia in the 1980s, and did the prep cooking for Jacques when he did some local demonstrations during his book tour. I set the mise en place, and partially prepared a half dozen of his recipes to different stages. Then when he put a pan on the stove, he swapped it out for my partial pan. He would continue a prep, then pull out my finished dish. Depending on the complexity, I may prepare 1,2, or 3 stages of a dish, in addition to the mise. I did it for other authors too, but they were the most famous.

The first day, he kindly took a knife from my hand and showed me a better technique. I owe my knife skills today to his help.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have met both Julia and Jacques, and have signed cookbooks from both. I took classes from Julia in the 1980s, and did the prep cooking for Jacques when he did some local demonstrations during his book tour. I set the mise en place, and partially prepared a half dozen of his recipes to different stages. Then when he put a pan on the stove, he swapped it out for my partial pan. He would continue a prep, then pull out my finished dish. Depending on the complexity, I may prepare 1,2, or 3 stages of a dish, in addition to the mise. I did it for other authors too, but they were the most famous.

The first day, he kindly took a knife from my hand and showed me a better technique. I owe my knife skills today to his help.
That's impressive! ?

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

Was he as nice in real life as the impression he is on TV?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How exciting, Kathy! I, too, wonder if Jacques was nice. I wasn't impressed with the way he spoke to his daughter on his show.

What about Julia - was she nice?

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I ran across an old article today where Julia said she liked McDonald's food.
Something about the fries, then fat, then she mentioned one of the burgers she liked.
Now I don't feel so bad for enjoying the occasional junk/fast food.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Me neither
I think I saw an episode on his PBS program something like 4 or 5 years ago.
My memory is bad, but I thought perhaps it was his granddaughter that he seemed a little snippy toward.
I do know it was a younger girl on the show with him.
Maybe someone can tell us more.
?

Ironman

🍺
How exciting, Kathy! I, too, wonder if Jacques was nice. I wasn't impressed with the way he spoke to his daughter on his show.

What about Julia - was she nice?

Lee
He’s good at what he does, but I noticed that also. He must feel the need to be a bit bossy in the kitchen?
Julia kept it all real. I bet she was a sweetheart.