Joe's Black Berry cobbler

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now after years of trying to find the right recipe for this through experimenting with various doughs from biscuit to croissant doughs. I finally gave up and went with a simply croissant but a pre packaged might work also though I did not use one. Christmas day it turned out perfect to my tastes. I did a second to be sure it was the same and hit the jackpot.

My Black Berry Cobbler

Dough Mix:
1 cup whole milk, heated to warm (105°F–110°F)
1/8 cup packed light brown sugar
3 cups unbleached all-purpose self rising flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 sticks (1 1/2 cups) cold unsalted butter

Mix dry ingredients together first. Add the cold butter and cut into dry ingredients. Now add warm milk slowly until it forms a dough. Now let it rest in refrigerator.

Cut dough in half. Roll dough onto a floured board making two pieces large enough to cover the bottom of the pan but not the sides.

Filling:
30 oz fresh Black Berries
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
3 drops of vanilla extract
juice of 1 lemon
2 tea spoons of corn starch (make slurry)

Mix water and sugar to make a simple syrup. Add cinnamon, vanilla and lemon juice and bring to a boil to reduce for a couple of minutes. Add your corn starch slurry to thicken. Now add the berries and remove from heat.

Let this stand until cool.

Preheat oven to 350.

Place the dough in a buttered 9X9 inch pan glass dish. Place a layer of dough then sprinkle with granulated sugar and cinnamon. Now place in the oven for 5 minutes only. Now remove from oven and pour berries into then cover with top crust sprinkle sugar and cinnamon. Dot top with butter pieces. Now return to the oven for 20 to 25 minutes but needs to be watched till golden.

Can be served warm or cold with wiped cream or favorite ice cream.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You're killin' me here, Joe! Blackberry cobbler is one of my favorite things ever. I buy the big frozen ones all winter long because for me, there is nothing more comforting that to curl up with a bowl of hot blackberry cobbler on a cold day. I will definitely make this one and thank you so much!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This is really juicy too and good reheated with ice cream or in my case whipped cream. My favorite thing also but my grand mother made it with sort of a biscuit dough which I've tried to reproduce. This dough is the closest I've managed to come that will soak up the blackberry juice but still be cooked.

I had the same problem with Apple brown Betty another of my favorites and found that angle food cake or pound cake crumbs worked the best for that also. Both are the key to making this stuff right in my opinion. Not being a baker does have limits so it took me a bit more time to solve the problem don't you know.

K

Kimchee

Yum YUMMMMMM!
I will be making this with Mulberries come spring!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm sure it would probably work with any berry really as well as peaches or apples.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is a correction just in case I don't want to confuse any one.

Place the bottom layer of dough in a buttered 9X9 inch pan glass dish. Place a layer of dough then sprinkle with granulated sugar and cinnamon. Now place in the oven for 5 minutes only.

Basically you are doing a quick blind bake on the bottom layer only.

As for the filling section here is a bit better wording.

Add your corn starch slurry and bring to a boil to thicken. Once it thickens add the berries and remove from heat mixing it well to coat the berries.

Oh and the 2 sticks of butter would be 1 cup not 1 1/2 cups.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Great recipe! That reminds me of when my mother would send her "little pickers" out to pick blackberries, and then she would make cobbler. It's a wonder that we escaped being bitten to death by snakes :shock:. I don't eat many desserts, but I do like a warm peach cobbler. :thumb::thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is another change from the original recipe I tried:

1 cup whole milk, heated to warm (105°F–110°F)

No need to heat the milk since I used self rising flour so no yeast used in this at all. The part , heated to warm (105°F–110°F) should also be removed. I normally do a better job of editing these things but this is a recipe I kept changing over time and left a few things into it as I experimented with it..

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
JOE,

If i wanted to make this with cherries do you think i can use the canned pitted tart cherries or the canned cherry pie/topping?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
If I have to guess I would say the pitted tart cherries as the pie filling type would have its own juice I would think hence you wouldn't need a simple syrup with it. That is only a guess on my part as I've never even eaten either of them that I'm aware of. For me they only way I eat cherries is chocolate covered type and cherry pies which I'm sure use the filling which is sweet.