Joe V's Basic White Bread

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Nice job. I'm sure it's delicious. We had that recipe last night made into sandwich rolls for pulled pork sandwiches. Everyone loved them. Which KA did you get? BTW, that recipe is in the book that comes with every KA.

vyapti

It's an Artisan 5qt. I wanted to get one of the professional series, but I couldn't beat $170. The bread was good, indeed. My goal is to find a whole wheat loaf that slices well and that the kids will eat. I wanna try to make hamburger and hot dog buns as well.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
It's an Artisan 5qt. I wanted to get one of the professional series, but I couldn't beat $170. The bread was good, indeed. My goal is to find a whole wheat loaf that slices well and that the kids will eat. I wanna try to make hamburger and hot dog buns as well.
That is a very good price for the Artisan. It will last a lifetime if you're not making big production batches of dough like I sometimes do.

Try the Honey Whole Wheat from my website. It's the same formula as the white bread, but 2 C of flour are stone ground whole wheat. You can also make rye bread the same way, and all of them have a soft crumb and slice well. I like to add 2t of vital wheat gluten to the formula just to get a better rise from it in the pans.

vyapti

I was thinking of adding some vital wheat gluten, but I didn't think that would make it rise more, I'll do that next time. I think I'll try some whole wheat hamburger buns tomorrow.

vyapti

I made the honey whole wheat tonight, a loaf and a half dozen hamburger buns for tomorrow. I and my nothing-but-white-bread eating kids chowed half the loaf before it cooled. I've discovered that I don't mind kneading, but couldn't stand the mixing ... and the mess, somehow, gets cut in half. I'm gonna use the hell out of this mixer =)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
WHERE ARE THE PICTURES??????????

I'm glad you and the kids like the bread. I just made it on Sunday and put it in the freezer, and my wife had it as toast this morning and remarked how much she enjoys it.

The VWG does help with gluten development which strengthens the dough to be able to more efficiently trap the gasses that make bread rise. I use 1t per cup of coarse flour.

Here is the latest batch of wheat and Italian...

P1020363.jpg

vyapti

No pics, this time. We cut into it while it was still cooling. The rolls didn't rise much the second rise. I worked them a bit more than I wanted while dividing the dough, and it was a bit chilly in the kitchen.

I used vital wheat gluten, but not that much, thanks for the tip. And, right out of the oven, I brushed the loaf with a milk soaked brush. It really softened the loaf. . . I think I might try some rye next.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
thanks for the kind opinion!

>>extra . . .

what the heck is "extra"? [g]

I did broetchen for Christmas dinner, next day I did the white bread.
three kids home for the holidays, plus one fiancee.

two loaves evaporated before anything thoroughly cooled.
the theory was good bread for left-over ham sandwiches.

neat theory. got ham. bread all gone.

. . . I'm also missing some butter, a few jars of jam, the peanut butter _was_ here . . .

fresh bread and a crowd are mutually assimilable !

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Great looking bread, ChowderMan. I know all about that "disappearing act" when it comes to fresh bread, especially if you put out a fresh stick of sweet butter. At least you don't have to worry about bagging it.:lol::lol:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Great looking bread, ChowderMan. I know all about that "disappearing act" when it comes to fresh bread, especially if you put out a fresh stick of sweet butter. At least you don't have to worry about bagging it.:lol::lol:
yup yup!! it seems like its gone before it hits the table cooling rack!!

vyapti

I made a loaf of rye yesterday. It didn't make a very big loaf. I'm not sure if that's just the recipe or if I did something wrong or if my substitutions weren't good. It tasted great and it didn't feel heavy or overly dense.

I used active dry yeast instead of instant, that I steeped in water, then added powdered soy milk to the liquid. I also used 1 Tbs flax seed and 2 Tbs water instead of an egg (a common vegan substitution).

In any case, as of today's lunch, it will be gone and I'll have to make another loaf.

4244734281_f9e53d79f8.jpg