Joe V Will Get It

Mr. Green Jeans

Miracle and bead head grub, my two trout killers!

Attachments

• DSC06099.JPG
    DSC06099.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 128

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
In the heat of the summer in Montana, the trout will often only hit flies in size 24 and smaller, so the trout fisher needs to had quite an extensive arsenal of flies in varying colors and sizes covering the size of each species and often smaller sub-species of aquatic insects. It can be a rather cerebral form of fishing if one is trying to match the different hatches that come off the water at all hours of the day and night. It can also drive a good man crazy.

chowhound

Neat, Joe. You're getting a couple flies from Mr Green Jeans? It doesn't look like you need 'em, but what the hey?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Neat, Joe. You're getting a couple flies from Mr Green Jeans? It doesn't look like you need 'em, but what the hey?
Interestingly, fly fishers who also tie thier own flies, often give away or exchange more flies than they ever lose. Many time I'll meet a complete stranger while fly fishing, and within a few minutes we'll be exchanging flies that we've tied that are not commercially available, or are only available regionally, or are something unique to the individual tier.

This is a local steelhead fly known as a Hackleflash Bugger. It's actually made with materials from craft stores, and imitates an emerald shiner minnow.

HackleFlash-3.jpg

Mr. Green Jeans

Joe's on a whole different plateau of fly fishing than moi. I'm still doing the store bought fly. Once DW and I get relocated to OR, the next man cave will have a fly tying bench!
BTW, those are #20's and I've caught 18" fish on them. Coming from a bass fishing background, it amazes me.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Joe's on a whole different plateau of fly fishing than moi. I'm still doing the store bought fly. Once DW and I get relocated to OR, the next man cave will have a fly tying bench!
BTW, those are #20's and I've caught 18" fish on them. Coming from a bass fishing background, it amazes me.

I have friends in Oregon who are fly fishers. They are spread out in Portland, Winchester and Seaside/Astoria, to name a few. I want to get back out there next year to do some fishing on the McKenzie and the North Umpqua again.

The McKenzie in 2006..

IMG_3185.jpg

The North Umpqua near Steamship Creek where Zane Gray fished and wrote his literary works.

SUmpqua-2.jpg

Eagle Rock on the North Umpqua. The fishing is fantastic, but the scenery leaves you breathless.

SUmpqua-3.jpg

I think the reason I fly fish is because trout don't live in ugly places.

Mr. Green Jeans

I have friends in Oregon who are fly fishers. They are spread out in Portland, Winchester and Seaside/Astoria, to name a few. I want to get back out there next year to do some fishing on the McKenzie and the North Umpqua again.

The McKenzie in 2006..

IMG_3185.jpg

The North Umpqua near Steamship Creek where Zane Gray fished and wrote his literary works.

SUmpqua-2.jpg

Eagle Rock on the North Umpqua. The fishing is fantastic, but the scenery leaves you breathless.

SUmpqua-3.jpg

I think the reason I fly fish is because trout don't live in ugly places.

Take me please?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Take me please?
What do you mean "take me?" You already live there and I live 6-1/2 hrs by plane + $400 airfare + Car +meals ++++++. Get in the car and just go!

IF you are a rank newbie, PM me and I'll get you linked up with a club in your area that can help you with learning the basics. Northwest Fly Fishing Outfitters in Portland has some free classes and also classes they charge for. The pay classes are held on stream on the Deschutes River, so you can learn and hopefully catch fish at the same time. Personally. I prefer teaching on the water, because there are things that the fly line does on water that it does not do when practicing on grass.

If I get back there next year I'll take you fishing with me.

Renfro Jones

. Personally. I prefer teaching on the water, because there are things that the fly line does on water that it does not do when practicing on grass.

If I get back there next year I'll take you fishing with me.

Can't you just practice in your living room. :clap:

Renfro Jones

Joe thiss is the popular fish in the Chesapeake Bay, rock fish or striped bass. Right now you're only allowed to keep 2 per man, 19 inch minimum. Good tasting ( cooking secret, let filets soak in milk for 30 mins) very fun to catch.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R6fwU7P-FQ&feature=related[/ame]