Jeff Davis Pie

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
This is one of my favorites, just can't have a piece because it is so rich.

BIG AL, STOP, I SEE YOU! go look at salads or something! :yankchain:

3 c sugar
1 c butter
1 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs, beaten
1 c milk
single pie crust

Cream sugar and butter. Blend in flour, salt, and vanilla. Add eggs and then milk. Pour into unbaked crust. Bake at 450F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F and bake another 30 minutes.

(This was my grandmothers recipe and we always serve at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have no idea where the name came from?)

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another good one that I too should not eat ...well maybe just a little piece. :hide: :D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This does indeed sound like Chess Pie! Thanks! I'm gonna give this one a spin! :thumb:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Does sound like it. I keep wondering if there might be two regional variations to this, as it reminds me of custard pies the Amish make up here. I mean, many different variations but two distinct regions.
And maybe that is the reference to Chess? Two sides, north south, etc...

Angie

This reminds me..I was just in Las Vegas last week, visiting a friend...and we were having a little too much wine with our dinner...we made our own version of this. I wanted snickerdoodle cookies, but didn't want to take the time to make the actual balls. So I put it in a round pan...8" or 9", not sure, pass the vodka..My friend decided to make custard for it...pass the wine please....and she made it with I don't know what...but the custard wouldn't set up..more vodka please. Come to find out, the next day, she realized that she never added eggs to the custard. She took them out of the fridge, put them back, took them out, put them back...and drank more wine!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Very interesting read, did you follow the link for James McNair's cookbook? Very pretty presentations. Some of the variations offered sounded cool too. I would have to try it in simple form first, then think about the effect changes like brown sugar or orange juice would have on it.
One of those things you could have plenty of fun with, I think!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have James McNairs cookbook packed away somewhere. He also has a great book on custards and puddings.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
History is cool, but I can google that all day long. I'm rather good at web crawling. I'm actually searching for TNT recipes from warm trusted bodies. Thanks.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That recipe from James McNair is about as TNT as it gets. The lady asking the question posts her recipe, which is also TNT but she is not happy with the finished look. She posts her recipe for comparison. They then provide some history before explaining differences between hers and most recipes they have tried, as well as offer some variations. They then conclude with James recipe.
I would try James' recipe as a good starting point. You could also try the OP's recipe in the link knowing it is a good recipe just ugly looking in the finished product.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That recipe from James McNair is about as TNT as it gets. The lady asking the question posts her recipe, which is also TNT but she is not happy with the finished look. She posts her recipe for comparison. They then provide some history before explaining differences between hers and most recipes they have tried, as well as offer some variations. They then conclude with James recipe.
I would try James' recipe as a good starting point. You could also try the OP's recipe in the link knowing it is a good recipe just ugly looking in the finished product.

Thanks Mav. I've already made this pie 3 - 4 times. I'm just looking for in the trenches variations. My pie was well received and I was asked to make it again. But I want "I made this last week and here is what I do". Google is fine, but over the stove stories from trusted people (like you and the rest of the users here) is what I was looking for. True TNT IMHO is from someone posting today that has cooked this recently or does so regularly. I keep waiting for Mama to post a recipe! :thumb:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I love Ol Blue's stuff as well, reminds me of good ol fashioned Country Comfort food and cooking!

FryBoy

There are a lot of recipes for Jeff Davis or Jefferson Davis pie to be found if you Google the term. It does seem to be a first cousin to Chess Pie.

Also, look for recipes for Vinegar Pie, which is another member of the same family.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bumped, copied and saved, Jim.

I always have this stuff in the house and whenever I want to buy ONE pre-made frozen pie crust, I have to buy two.

This will be made with one of the second crusts.

Lee