Italian Bean Soup with Fresh Pasta

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This sounded good when I read it and it WAS good tonight, on a raw, rainy night!

I used fresh rosemary which really MADE the soup. And I did use a stick blender. AND, I actually had a rind of parm cheese!

Served with a green salad and a toasted garlic roll.

Lee

ItaLian Bean Soup with Fresh pasta (Milk St.)

• KOSHER SALT AND GROUND BLACK PEPPER
  • 2 TABLESPOONS TOMATO PASTE
    2 MEDIUM GARLIC CLOVES, SMASHED AND PEELED
    2 15½-OUNCE CANS ROMAN BEANS (SEE HEADNOTE), RINSED AND DRAINED
    2 TEASPOONS CHOPPED FRESH ROSEMARY OR SAGE
    1 PIECE PARMESAN RIND (OPTIONAL), PLUS FINELY GRATED PARMESAN, TO SERVE
    8-9 OUNCE PACKAGE FRESH PAPPARDELLE, TAGLIATELLE OR FETTUCCINE (SEE NOTE), CUT INTO 2-INCH LENGTHS
In a large saucepan over medium, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and ¼ teaspoon salt, then cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato paste and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the tomato paste darkens slightly and begins to stick to the pan, about 3 minutes.
Add the beans, rosemary, Parmesan rind (if using), 5 cups water, ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high, then reduce to medium-low and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the beans are soft enough to be easily mashed with a fork, about 10 minutes.

Off heat, remove and discard the Parmesan rind (if used); let cool for about 10 minutes. Using a blender and working in 2 batches to avoid overfilling the jar, pulse the bean mixture until creamy but not completely smooth. Return the puree to the pot and bring to a simmer over medium.

Tip: Don’t use dried pasta for this soup, as it will not cook properly. Fresh pasta is key. Look for wide, ribbon-like noodles such as pappardelle, tagliatelle or fettuccine and cut them into 2-inch lengths before use. If you can find sheets of fresh pasta, they work nicely, too—simply cut them into rough 2-inch squares. Don’t puree the beans until completely smooth; leave them with some texture.

Italian bean soup.JPG