Is it fitting that a tree is attacking a tree-hugger's house?

vyapti

I'm sitting here wondering if the tree removers will be here before the tree finally gives it up. I kinda feel like its happening in slow motion

4503593795_e2386f7f2b.jpg

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I can't tell from the picture, vyapti. Is the tree split or is it just growing that way? I have a huge, ancient Live Oak on my property that has grown in such a way that it looks like it's trying to eat my neighbor's house.

vyapti

It had been growing diagonally, but it fell during a storm this afternoon. Only, instead of falling, it leaned in slow motion toward our roof, then stopped when it came to rest on a huge bough. It's chopped up and gone now. In all the only damage was the fence it fell through.

I can't tell from the picture, vyapti. Is the tree split or is it just growing that way? I have a huge, ancient Live Oak on my property that has grown in such a way that it looks like it's trying to eat my neighbor's house.

I love the way an old tree will grow through anything. The two surrounding trees and the fallen one were growing into a symbiotic knot. We have a laurel that was growing over the top of the fallen tree and, now that its support is gone, we have a 20' branch that's sagging pretty badly.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Old trees have such a special beauty. I'm lucky that even though I live downtown in a big city, my neighborhood is old and filled with huge old trees. Several of my trees are as old as my house. I'll try to take a pic of the Live Oak and post it tomorrow. It looks a lot like your "ferocious" tree.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I used to live in a large house in Defiance, Ohio, on the river.
We had a gorgeous sycamore that finally came crashing down during a storm.
I can tell you I grieved over the loss of that tree, and still think about it.

FooD

My next door neighbor's palm tree grew sideways, eventually crossing over onto our property and after a few years grew longer over our roof and the trunk decided to do a 45 degree vertical move. After a few more years of being suspended over our front porch it finally gave way under its own weight and gently landed on our roof. It was a unique sight and not an eye sore during all those years.
I spent the next few days chainsawing the damn thing. I should have billed my neighbor for my time but I didn't.
Let me see if I can find a pic. I know I took a few shots of it several years ago (for insurance purposes).

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I finally got some pics of my tree that is attacking the neighbor's house. I actually couldn't get the whole tree in one picture - it's huge.

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 89
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 86