Irish Cream Cake for St. Patrick's Day

I received this recipe from a friend yesterday and it just sounded so gorgeous that I wanted to share it with everyone. But I wasn't sure where she got it and I asked Doc if it was okay to post. He said yes - that if there was any problem with it, he'd let me know. So here it is. I hope everyone enjoys it!

For the cake:

1 boxed devil's food cake mix
1 box chocolate instant pudding mix
4 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup Irish Cream liqueur
1 cup sour cream

Heat oven to 350 degrees F and beal all cake ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed for five minutes until well mixed. Pour batter into two 9-inch cake pans, sprayed with Pam and floured and bake 35 to 45 minutes until baked through. Cool for 10 minutes in the pans and then remove to rack to cool completely.

For Irish Cream Frosting

1 cup butter, softened
4 oz. cream cheese, softened (half of an 8 oz. pkg.)
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup Irish cream liqueur
1 tsp. vanilla

In large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed on mixer to low and add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating until blended. Add 1/4 cup liqueur and 1 tsp. vanilla and beat until frosting is smooth and spreadable. Then place 1 cake layer on a serving plate, spread with one-third of the frosting. Top with second cake layer and frost sides and top of cake with thin layer of frosting to reduce crumbs. Refrigerate 30 minutes to set. Frost cake with remaining frosting.

For chocolate glaze

4 oz. bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Place chopped chocolate in a small bowl. In small saucepan, heat whipping cream until bubbles form around edge. Pour warm cream over chocolate and let stand 1 minute to melt. Stir until smooth. Let stand 10 minutes until thickened.

Pour glaze randomly over cake, letting some glaze drip down sides. Sprinkle almonds over edge of cake top and bottom and store in fridge.

This sounds like pure heaven and I'll certainly take photos when I make it for St. Patrick's Day! :lucky:

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, Fallon, that DOES sound heavenly!!

Can't wait to see your photos!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oooooo...that does sound good!!!!! Thanks for sharing it Fallon!!!!

Ian M.

Tut! Tut! CF, I don't think you can actually eat a confection like this with a glass of cold milk. If you're going to get hammered by a piece of cake, better you should be eating it with a tall, cold glass of champaign, don't you think? Being English/Irish/Dutch myself, I suspect I could probably eat at least two pieces before I'm underneath the table! As you guys may have become aware, St. Paddy's Day is mighty important in our household. I'll let you know how this cake of Fallon's turns out and how many crumbs I leave behind! If she's going to take pictures of it, she's going to have to hurry.......... :good:

Ian

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
If you are going to do this. Make your own Bailey's you will never buy it again.

Treat yourself - use Jameson's whiskey you won't regret it. Make extra - It goes quickly.

Recipe credit - http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2009/12/homemade-baileys-irish-cream-youll.html

Homemade Baileys Irish Cream Recipe

Here is the homemade Baileys Irish Cream recipe for all of my friends, both on and offline. It's easy enough that you should have time to whip up a batch to take to your New Year's Eve parties! I found the recipe on a discussion forum on Chowhound. The entire discussion is worth a read. It contains lots of information about the drink. I am repriting it below with my notes.
1 C light cream (I used heavy whipping cream, which made it even richer)
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1 2/3 C Irish whiskey (I used Jameson's)
1 t instant coffee
2 T Hershey's chocolate syrup (I used Torani)
1 t vanilla
1 t almond extract (I skipped this entirely)
Combine all ingredients in a blender and set on high speed for 30 seconds.
Bottle in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate. Shake before using.
Will keep for up to 2 months.

Ian M.

Andy....thank you so much for the Irish Cream recipe. It never occured to me that one could make their own Irish Cream! What an incredible idea. I showed this to my father and one of my brothers and we've decided to make a great big batch and share the wealth. This is like waving a red flag at a bull to wave a recipe liike this at four died-in-the-wool Irishmen like us, one of whom actually grew up there! We spent the evening scouring the house for all the tightly sealed containers we could find and unless it blows up in storage (rather like a recipe for root beer that we four made several years ago) we should have our own mini-brewery going in no time at all! This is simply too great! The root beer, by the way, was another matter entirely.....that stuff built up a charge in the old glass bottles we put it in and literally "popped it's cork" all over the cold cellar and sounded like someone was shooting at us! That continued on nearly all that night, until all 32 bottles had exploded violently! Mum nearly never forgave the four of us for that! Better never invite us to any parties. Does anybody remember the scenes in the movie "The Great Escape" when the American pow's in the concentration camp made their own potato-based moonshine to celebrate the 4th of July? Our root beer was much the same. The finished product took your breath away....and both lungs! :drink2:

Ian

Last edited:
Okay, gang - If I did this right, the photo of the cake should show up on here as an attachment. It really turned out well. :drink2:

Fallon

Attachments

• Irish Cream Cake 3-18-2012.jpg
    Irish Cream Cake 3-18-2012.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 187

chilefarmer

Fallon, you did it up right. What a beautiful cake. Wish I was there for a slice. To pretty to cut, I have got to do this. Photo is really good, Many thanks. CF

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I don't eat a lot of sweets (I know...weird), but that is one beautiful cake. Glad you figured out how to post pic's!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
WAIT!!!!! HOLD ON!!!!!!

That cake is dangerous!! Pack it carefully and send it to me for analysis. LOL

Absolutely beautiful!

Thank you for posting.

Andy

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmmmmm That looks so so GOOD!!!!!!!!!!
Great job Falon!!!!!!! :tiphat: :clap: :clap: Thanks for sharing!!!!!