Instant Gravy Mix.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Has anyone ever tried it?

A friend of mine has influenced me to get some. She likes it and told me that it is much easier to make over gravy made from scratch! All you add to it is a cup of water and whisk it in. Wait for it to boil for a minute of so and it is done!

I was never an avid fan of this, but after tasting it, I found out that it's not so bad after all.

So I decided to get some of it. I bought it in brown, pork and chicken flavors.

Ok, I know that it has chemicals in it, but it DOES taste good and no seasonings are needed for it. You can also use it in casseroles and pot pies, or anything else that might come to mind!

But it's quick, easy and yields only a cup of gravy, which I'm always making too much of it when I do it from scratch. :eating2:

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, I know that it has chemicals in it,

Says out all for me Sherm. I have been doing what I can to eliminate chemicals and feeling better for it.

It doesn't seem possible to get rid of them all, I do what I can.

Would this be easier than a jar of gravy?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Says out all for me Sherm. I have been doing what I can to eliminate chemicals and feeling better for it.

It doesn't seem possible to get rid of them all, I do what I can.

Would this be easier than a jar of gravy?

A jar of gravy, as we already know, is just put in a small pot or in a microwave safe bowl and is heated on the stove or in the microwave.

I've had it, but don't like the taste of it, as some can smell & taste like baby food!

I would not be using it every day, but I think that it would come in handy when you're in a pinch and don't have time, or don't feel like making it from scratch. :eating2:

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I use the brown gravy mix in the crock pot with beef roasts. I like it for the taters I make with it and it adds a nice flavor to the meat.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I have it 'on hand' for emergencies; doesn't get used much. just tossed a couple packets that were more than two years past their "use by" dates...

there's another way:
off-shoot from keeping your own roux - as a ready made thickner...

make a roux, season it with herbs / flavors of your choice, form into a roll and freeze.

it does take time for the flavors to meld, so keeping an "all purpose unseasoned " roux doesn't work so well unless you have some pan drippings / whatever to start with.

another trick is to hydrate dried mushrooms and use the liquor as a gravy basis - altho I always toss the ex-dried out mushrooms and add fresh.

the packets have a host of artificial x, y and z - just add water. of you've got the real McCoy for the x, y and z, all you need is a thickener.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I once saw Julia Child do that with butter. She would mash the butter and flour together and keep it in the fridge for future use in making gravies and sauces.

Yeah, keeping the instant gravy mix too long can ruin the flavor and taste of it. That happened to me with some peach flavored iced tea. I had it so long past the expiration date that when I went to make some, all that I could taste in it was the sugar!! Had to drink it though, to avoid wasting the expensive sugar though. :eating2:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've been using Knorr's sauce and gravy mixes for years. If you're going to use a pkt mix, that's the best that I've found.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i buy store-brand pkt. gravy. buy brown, uusually. none too fond of most other kinds.

making ur own gravy is very simple, too- fat/flour/stock, sometimes dairy items.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My stepmother, normally a purist for "from scratch" stuff, always used Knorr brown gravy in her Thanksgiving turkey gravy. So I do, too!

It's an excellent addition, but I've never tried it without drippings.

Lee

LADawg

I do use a mix but almost always for breakfast. What I do is fry up a couple of pork sausage patties, crumble them up, add them to some Country Gravy that was made form a mix made by Pioneer and serve that over biscuits. Pioneer may not be available in some parts of the country. Good stuff. They, Pioneer, also make a baking mix similar to Bisquick.

Shermie

Site Supporter
The brand that I bought is Marcum, made for or by Save-A-Lot Supermarkets.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I often use gravy mix as a flavoured thickener when making stews or similar.

Shermie

Site Supporter
The instant gravy mix that I bought looks smooth & subtle, as well as delicious tasting.

I find it to be very fast and simple to put together, requiring only a cup of water! How simple is that?!!

No meat drippings or stock are ever needed. Unless you just want to used them anyway! :eating2:

K

Kimchee

If you can find it in your area, I highly recommend Pioneer Brand brown gravy package mix.

LADawg

If you can find it in your area, I highly recommend Pioneer Brand brown gravy package mix.

On top of that I hi9ghly recommend any Pioneer Brand product.:a1: Like I posted yesterday, I use their Country Gravy mix and I always use their baking mix rather than Bisquick..........

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks, LADawg! I saved the address in the Website folder.

I sometimes by the Betty Crocker Pancake Mix in the little 6-oz bags, as opposed to buying Bisquick which comes in large boxes for fear that it might spoil before it is all used up.

LADawg

Thanks, LADawg! I saved the address in the Website folder.

I sometimes by the Betty Crocker Pancake Mix in the little 6-oz bags, as opposed to buying Bisquick which comes in large boxes for fear that it might spoil before it is all used up.

What's to spoil? The box of Pioneer Baking Mix that I have shows that it is best if used by 5/16/15. I've had it for about a month so it was best used within almost a year and a half.
You could keep it in the refrigerator or freezer if you are not planning on using it for a couple of years.

Shermie

Site Supporter
That's the thing. I have no room in either the fridge's freezer or the deep freezer. My fridge is not a normal 14 or 15 cubic foot model. It is about 10 or 11 cubic feet.

I guess that 2 years is ample time to use up the stuff. I was worried about the shortening, lard or whatever grease is used in making the mix, since shortening tends to go rancid if whatever it is in isn't used up before or by the expiration date on the box.

I DO however, keep the shortening in the fridge to keep it from becoming rancid. :eating2: