Induction Cook Top

Mr. Green Jeans

We are in the process of replacing counter tops and the 20+ year old Jenn Air electric range top in the MGJ kitchen. We wanted to go LP gas but the cost and hassle of installing a tank made us think differently. After much debate we opted to go induction.
1. Does anyone have experiences to share about cooking with an induction unit?
2. Most of our cookware is the 1810 stainless except our pressure canner. I have not found a 21qt model as of yet and would appreciate any leads.
Thanks!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I have a Kenmore Induction Range and love it. We have had gas, electric through the years and Induction is far superior to both.

Now as for pots and pans here is the easiest test. Get a magnet (refrigerator type are fine) and see if they will stick to the bottom, if so they will work. Now 18/10 stainless isn't magnetic but others new pots and pans are. Even the Emeralware and Wolfgang Pucks are induction ready.

In addition Cast Iron all works with few exception mostly due to the bottom they need to be fairly flat. Enamel cast iron also work fine as does steel such as woks. Multi ply pans also work great but the out side needs to be magnetic. I have several pans that start as 18/8 stainless with layer of copper or aluminum followed by other layers and finish with 18/10 stainless.

Some things to be aware of with induction is the stove top only absorbs heat from the pan as it doesn't have a heat element. The work with magnetic fields to turn the pan into the heat source. They also heat up much faster than gas or electric an cool faster than both. Also be aware that the heat knob marking tend to be a bit different that say an electric in that if 5 is medium heat on mine 3 is. Mine goes from .5 to 9 in half steps as well as a PB mode above 9 that boils water or to cook with a wok that is higher and faster still.

I hope it works out for you as well as it did for me. I also change most of my stainless pans a piece at a time when I got the first portable one. That first portable convinced me that induction is the way to go. I had mostly 18/10 stainless also but replaced it as I said a piece at a time. I also dumped a lot of stuff I got through the years in sets I never used. This cleared up a lot of storage under my very limited cabinet space.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Please excuse a dumb question, but what powers the induction stove and does it have an oven like other stoves, if so how does it work?
I saw you mentioned magnets joe, but what powers them? 110 or 220 v or something else? are these stoves more energy efficient than others because of the magnets? Interesting.

Mr. Green Jeans

Please excuse a dumb question, but what powers the induction stove and does it have an oven like other stoves, if so how does it work?
I saw you mentioned magnets joe, but what powers them? 110 or 220 v or something else? are these stoves more energy efficient than others because of the magnets? Interesting.
Doc here's a link that explains the stove: http://www.howstuffworks.com/induction-cooktops.htm

They work on a magnetic field process, are very energy efficient because the heat all happens within the cooking vessel. You need ferrous based cook ware for the unit to work. Cast iron, enameled cast, 1810 stainless all work. Like Joe said if a magnet sticks it is induction ready. Supposedly you can bring 1 quart of cold water to a boil in less than 90 seconds.

joec

Gold Site Supporter

The site that Mr Green posted is a great source. I have a portable that works on 110v and my range works on 220v. As for the oven mine has a convection setup in that it works like any electric oven but is also.

Now in a nut shell you can't judge the way they work as far as efficiency like a gas or electric stove. The way they work simply is with an electro magnetic coil. The more power to the coil the more it heats the molecules in the pan, hence the pan is the heat source. If you remove a pan from the surface in most cases you can put your hand on it as the only heat is what is absorbed from the hot pan. I've seen a couple of demonstrations that demonstrate how they work. First is a dollar bill under the pan won't burn and the second is half a pan with an egg broken so half is on the pan the other on the stove top. The half in the pan cooks the stove nothing.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Doc here's a link that explains the stove: http://www.howstuffworks.com/induction-cooktops.htm

They work on a magnetic field process, are very energy efficient because the heat all happens within the cooking vessel. You need ferrous based cook ware for the unit to work. Cast iron, enameled cast, 1810 stainless all work. Like Joe said if a magnet sticks it is induction ready. Supposedly you can bring 1 quart of cold water to a boil in less than 90 seconds.

I have a 7.5 qt All-Clad pasta pot that will come to a roll boil inside of 7 minutes on PB. That same pot took almost 20 min. to get there on my old GE Electric. Now I'm talking starting with cold tap water when put on.

One other thing is the kitchen temperatures don't get as hot as they used too with electric.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

I had a Viking induction cooktop with two induction and three radiant burners at my previous house. I presently have portables North & South.

I can't say enough for induction. It's better than gas, heats faster and controls temperatures better.

You can do little tricks like placing a cloth between the burner and the pan to catch grease or other liquids without any danger of fire.

Yeah, they cost, but in the long run you'll be happier with induction.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks all, very interesting. Good luck Mr. Green Jeans. Induction sure sounds like the way to go, but I'm sure it's more expensive than traditional units. After reading all this I think I will look into a portable like others have mentioned in this thread.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Hi Peep - Does a magnet stick to 18/10 Stainless? I don't know.
I don't know either and don't have a magnet handy. I may be reading these 2 posts wrong. It wouldn't be the first time I have gotten things confused. But it seems one says yes and one says no.
Yes I have a Kenmore Induction Range and love it. We have had gas, electric through the years and Induction is far superior to both.

Now as for pots and pans here is the easiest test. Get a magnet (refrigerator type are fine) and see if they will stick to the bottom, if so they will work. Now 18/10 stainless isn't magnetic but others new pots and pans are. Even the Emeralware and Wolfgang Pucks are induction ready.

In addition Cast Iron all works with few exception mostly due to the bottom they need to be fairly flat. Enamel cast iron also work fine as does steel such as woks. Multi ply pans also work great but the out side needs to be magnetic. I have several pans that start as 18/8 stainless with layer of copper or aluminum followed by other layers and finish with 18/10 stainless.

Some things to be aware of with induction is the stove top only absorbs heat from the pan as it doesn't have a heat element. The work with magnetic fields to turn the pan into the heat source. They also heat up much faster than gas or electric an cool faster than both. Also be aware that the heat knob marking tend to be a bit different that say an electric in that if 5 is medium heat on mine 3 is. Mine goes from .5 to 9 in half steps as well as a PB mode above 9 that boils water or to cook with a wok that is higher and faster still.

I hope it works out for you as well as it did for me. I also change most of my stainless pans a piece at a time when I got the first portable one. That first portable convinced me that induction is the way to go. I had mostly 18/10 stainless also but replaced it as I said a piece at a time. I also dumped a lot of stuff I got through the years in sets I never used. This cleared up a lot of storage under my very limited cabinet space.

I must be reading it wrong.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
1810 SS should work for induction heating. Before you buy a pan place a magnet on the bottom. If it sticks you're good to go.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
1810 SS should work for induction heating. Before you buy a pan place a magnet on the bottom. If it sticks you're good to go.

if it sticks you're golden - quite right. but "18-10" is not by itself an indicator of magnetic qualities.

it's an austenite/martensite thing - makes most peoples eyes glaze over.....

and . . . rather a lot of high quality 18-10 cookware is not magnetic

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I know I had a full set of 18/10 stainless pans that wouldn't work which I changed with other brands many of which are 18/10 inside but say magnetic stainless steel on the bottom layer.

Doc:
This is the one I've had now for 2 years and serves as an extra burner when I need a 5th burner or for something quick. We also take this and a couple of small pans when we travel as well.

Oh and one other note for you people that want a slow cooker my stove top has that capability as does the oven. I also got rid of my double boiler as it is no longer needed with it. Induction is capable of warming milk or melting chocolate without the need for one. I just use the proper size sauce pan now. As I said mine goes from a setting at the lowest of .5 to the highest of 9 with an even higher setting called PB for Pre Boil. The PB mode is great for Wok cooking and bringing water to a very fast boil.

Seagirlrun

We are in the process of replacing counter tops and the 20+ year old Jenn Air electric range top in the MGJ kitchen. We wanted to go LP gas but the cost and hassle of installing a tank made us think differently. After much debate we opted to go induction.
2. Most of our cookware is the 1810 stainless except our pressure canner. I have not found a 21qt model as of yet and would appreciate any leads.
Thanks!
Hi, i just tried to use my lovely huge wolfgang puck pot with strainer for spaghetti and it doesnt work on my induction top. Wolfgang lied. Sucks because it was pricey. Many of the favorite pots and pans i thought were all steel are in fact, all-kinds-of things and I've had to gift them to others.