Indian Pudding

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is a classic New England dish, most seen around Thanksgiving, though some local restaurants serve it all year 'round.

I make it every October. It might be an acquired taste, but I love it!

This year's batch was a lot more "blonde" than brown, for some reason.

Lee

Indian Pudding

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
4 cups whole milk (hot)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup molasses
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 T. butter, melted
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teas. salt
3/4 teas. cinnamon
1/2 teas. ginger
1/2 cup whole milk (cold)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In the top of a double boiler, slowly stir cornmeal into hot milk. Cook over boiling water, stirring often, 20 minutes or until it thickens.

Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish.

In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients except for the cold milk. Slowly add a couple of spoonsful of the milk mixture to the egg mixture, tempering it, then add the egg mixture into the milk mixture.

Turn into prepared baking dish. Pour cold milk over the top WITHOUT STIRRING IT IN.

Bake uncovered, 2 hours, or until set but still quivery on top.

Let stand 30 minutes on a rack before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream or light cream.
Indian Pudding, 1.JPG
Indian Pudding, 2.JPG
Indian Pudding, 3.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here is a serving of the pudding.

Lee
Indian pudding 4, plated.JPG

Last edited:

Ian M.

Hey, Lee - Mighty good looking "baby poo pudding" as they call it at Durgin Park! Have you ever eaten there? Alleged to have the least attractive waitresses in the state and the best food, by far. Love their prime rib and "lazy man's lobster" - which is the only way DW will eat the critter - having to remove it from the shell and deal with nut crackers et al is an awful lot of work for very little dinner, so she declares! But Durgin Park is way cool - no matter what you eat there. Haven't been in years but will go soon. A wonderful time of year to do so - right now!!

Ian

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, sure I've eaten at Durgin Park! It's in the heart of tourist-land, but the food is excellent and affordable. The prime rib is the biggest slab I've ever seen.

And, yes, I've had the Indian Pudding there. Very good!
Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this again over the weekend. Such wonderful comfort food!

Quintessential old-time New England.

Lee
Indian pudding 1.JPG
Indian Pudding 2, baked.JPG

Last edited: