Ideas for Using Fresh Pesto

Blues Man

I made some pesto today. I blended together basil, toasted pine nuts, parmesan cheese, garlic and olive oil.

100_0694.jpg

100_0696.jpg

It turned out great. Does anyone have some favorite ways to use it? Does anyone use it on pizza?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sure!!! Pesto pizza is fantastic! Spread a thin layer on your raw dough instead of tomato sauce, and top with your favorite toppings!

My favorite thing is tossing it with ravioli, sometimes with sausage on the side.

Lee

Deelady

A favorite in our house is mixing it into steamed rice, corn and chicken...the corn may sound odd but the sweetness of it counters the tartness of the pesto and really compliments it.

Another favorite is mixing pesto into a white sauce/or alfredo sauce and tossing it with sauteed tri-color bell peppers and fettucini noodles

Deelady

Oh another fav is topped on a burger with mozz cheese, tomato and fresh basil leaves! Yummm!

homecook

Another favorite is mixing pesto into a white sauce/or alfredo sauce and tossing it with sauteed tri-color bell peppers and fettucini noodles

That sound like a great idea!! Thanks Dee. I've got basil coming out of my ears...LOL

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have lots of basil, too, and your pesto looks like it would be wonderful, Blues Man. (I've never actually eaten pesto before but now, I've got to make some and try it.)

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Other than the usual tossed with pasta...blend it into mashed potatoes. Make a salad dressing with it. Blend it into polenta. Put it on your garlic bread. Top a roasted pork sandwich with pest mayo..

GotGarlic

I love bruschetta with pesto and chopped garden-fresh tomatoes, topped with grated Parmesan cheese. It also makes a nice spread for a wrap sandwich.

Attachments

• bruschetta.jpg
    bruschetta.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've had all the ways every one has listed as well as mixed with soft butter then refrigerate it in rolls. Now the butter is great on steaks, chops, lobster etc.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I love bruschetta with pesto and chopped garden-fresh tomatoes, topped with grated Parmesan cheese. It also makes a nice spread for a wrap sandwich.
that is a beautiful plate presentation! i love the basil flower.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
your pesto looks wonderful blues. i love fresh basil chopped fine and added to the stuffing for mushrooms and tomatoes. added to the breadcrumbs for breading meat and veggies. of course sauce, tomato salad and brushetta.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I've had all the ways every one has listed as well as mixed with soft butter then refrigerate it in rolls. Now the butter is great on steaks, chops, lobster etc.
that is a great idea for use of compound pesto butter. i have done it only for steaks.

Blues Man

I love polenta and that sounds like a great idea ........... Thanks

Other than the usual tossed with pasta...blend it into mashed potatoes. Make a salad dressing with it. Blend it into polenta. Put it on your garlic bread. Top a roasted pork sandwich with pest mayo..

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
also prosciutto, mozzarella, drizzle of olive oil topped with basil on french or italian bread sammie.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
that is a great idea for use of compound pesto butter. i have done it only for steaks.

It is great on steamed claims or oysters also. Just put a dollop on them before serving and as it melts it is wonderful. I also love it with roasted garlic, parsley and basil butter for lobster with a shot of lemon juice.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
It is great on steamed claims or oysters also. Just put a dollop on them before serving and as it melts it is wonderful. I also love it with roasted garlic, parsley and basil butter for lobster with a shot of lemon juice.
wow that all sounds yummy even to someone like me who is not a big seafood person. i do like clams though but i eat very little other seafood and never crabs or lobster. i like breaded and fried flounder, cod and sole.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Funny I'm not much on fish but love shell fish as well as claims. I don't like oysters at all but wife loves them raw (gag). We did have some steamed halibit this week though as my wife needs fish in her diet regularly. We also had salmon late last week.