I have picked up a kind of a new cooking hobby

joec

Gold Site Supporter
As the titles says which is liking to try various alcohol beverages from Beer to hard Liquor for cooking. I've had a bottle of Laird's Applejack now for a long time in my pantry which I have no idea what to do with. So I started searching and found a Recipe page by Laird's on the web dedicated to cooking with the stuff. I downloaded the whole page as a PDF file but pulled one recipe off of it that sounded really good perhaps as side dish tonight with dinner.

AMERICAN ONION SOUP

2 to 3 onions, thin sliced
Butter
8 cups beef stock
1/8 cup Laird’s AppleJack
Salt and Pepper to taste
French bread
Mozzarella Cheese

Sauté onions in butter. In separate pan, heat beef stock. Add AppleJack, onions, salt and pepper. Simmer until onions are tender.

Put soup in separate crocks with a slice of French bead. Place a large slice of Mozzarella cheese over top of crock. Heat in a 400-degree oven until cheese melts.

Here is the site http://www.lairdandcompany.com/recipes_food_applejack.htm

joec

Gold Site Supporter
How does it taste, Joe?

I'm not a fan of the taste of the Apple Jack but after mixing it with the broth and bringing it to a boil then down to a simmer it tasted great taking the bourbon taste out.. It just came out of the oven and sitting by me letting it cool enough to eat. So I will get back to you on the final product. :biggrin:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've had a hankering for onion soup lately. I think this may be the recipe I'll make!

Thanks, Joe!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well my wife and I just did a bowl full of it and it is good very good as well as simple to make. I made some Chinese style ribs Sunday and we had that with the soup for dinner with the left over ribs. What a good meal. Now we have about 2 more bowls left which we will probably do for lunch tomorrow. However only having two bowls designed for this type of dish (had 4 originally) we only made up two and the soup will keep till tomorrow with no problem. I guess each bowl holds about 12 oz. and with the bread and cheese great. So based on that and a standard French Onion Soup/bean bowl it makes 4 servings.