How do you make your asparagus

vyapti

Asparagus might be my favorite vegetable, so each spring, when its available fresh and cheap, I will make it as often as my family will tolerate, at least a couple times a week. This year, instead of steaming it, I've been baking it with a little white wine, some garlic and lemon slices.

But, this week, I've bought enough to eat three, maybe four times and I'm afraid my family might rebel. So I'm looking for something new. So, how do you make your asparagus?

Lefty

Yank
One of our family favorites is when we drizzle olive oil on the asparagus, sprinke sea salt and fresh black pepper and a some super finely diced garlic. We cook it on the grill at a high heat and serve right off the grill. The same can be achieved on a cast iron griddle indoors duriing the winter.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I pretty much steam it, bake or grille it myself. It does make a pretty good soup too. It is one of my favorite vegetables also following brussel spouts. I also like a little garlic, salt pepper, olive oil and to serve a bit of white truffle oil.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I've sauteed it, grilled it, steamed it, deep fried it, turned it into soup, etc., etc. Any way you can cook it I either have or would be willing to! I love asparagus!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I douse it with evoo, salt, pepper and roll it around in a hot skillet until it's tender but still crisp. I've got a recipe for an asparagus custard that I'm going to try soon. I would've tried it last night, but I didn't have any eggs.

FryBoy

Rinse, cut off the ends, steam until barely tender, butter & salt.

Good crop this year, apparently -- it was 78¢ per pound at the market the other day.

High Cheese

Saucier
My basics: Grilled, pan roasted with garlic, evoo, and red pepper flakes. If I'm feeling French: sauteed with shallot, garlic white wine and finished with butter. The other night I pan roasted with garlic, evoo and balsamic, the balsamic reduced to coat the asparagus and brought on a kind of sweet flavor. Sometimes I add pine nuts.

I'm actually using some 1" pieces tonight in a pasta I like to make: Farfalle, chicken, asparagus, mushroom and sage with a creamy parmesan sauce.

Asparagus and any kind of fish go great together.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I love, love, love mine with roasted garlic, balsamic, sea salt, olive oil, and grilled.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That's how I make mine, too, Uncle Ralph - minus the garlic. (I know, I know. I just hate garlic. :hide:)

Recently, though, I found that our local grocery store (HEB) has their own version of Steamers with asparagus. They are in the fresh produce section and it's just the spears in a plastic, microwave bag. I don't know what it is they do, but the asparagus comes out perfectly every time in 3 minutes. They must select for exceptional spears and then maybe they blanch them before packaging. All I know is I get them out, put a little butter and balsamic on them, and they are wonderful. I use these a lot for a lunch or a quick dinner.

AllenOK

Like a lot of people, I like it steamed, w/ butter, salt, and pepper. I also like it grilled, drizzled with EVOO, salt, pepper, and maybe a Greek or Italian seasoning blend.

EVERYONE has forgotten about a kick-butt thing for asparagus! Blanch it, then roll a small piece of proscuitto around the end, and drizzle with a little Italian dressing.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've sure eaten my share of those Allen, the blanched and rolled proscuitto with dressing.

Great pic. Sometimes I marinate them in olive oil, lemon or lime juice, garlic, S&P, grill & serve on a bed of butter lettuce surrounded w/ sliced tomatoes - in a cold salad. You can add cold cooked shrimp.

As an appetizer - roll in puff pastry & bake, or wrap them in thin slices of salmon.

I especially like asparagus in pasta dishes with shrimp.

I simmer it whole for a few minutes in a large skillet, then serve with lemon butter or Hollandaise sauce.

Will also cut into 2" pieces & blanch for 2 minutes, then saute in butter & any number of seasoning choices.

We also really enjoy this recipe when asparagus is in season:

Breezy Chicken Asparagus with Oyster/Black Bean Sauce

2 boneless skinless chicken breast pieces or tenders (about a pound or so), sliced & cut into bitesized pieces
1 bunch fresh asparagus (about a pound or so), tough ends trimmed & cut into 2" pieces
2 stalks of Bok Choy, ends trimmed, cut into 1" pieces
2" piece of fresh Ginger, peeled & minced
3 large or 6 small cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
3 tablespoons Chinese salted/preserved/fermented black beans
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 tablespoons dry sherry
1 teaspoon Asian chile garlic paste/sauce
8 fresh shitake mushrooms, stemmed & quartered
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon dry sherry & one tablespoon water (optional)
3 tablespoons or so Peanut or vegetable oil for stirfrying
Cooked Jasmine Rice for serving.

Soak preserved black beans in hot tap water to cover & let sit for 15 minutes. Drain beans, add garlic, & mash together with a fork to make a rough paste. Add sherry, oyster sauce, & chile paste & stir.
Bring a pot of water large enough to hold asparagus pieces to a boil & add all asparagus pieces except for the tips. Boil for 2 minutes, then add tips & boil for another minute. Drain.
Make rice according to package directions.
Heat wok (or large frying/saute pan) until drop of water sizzles. Add oil & swirl.
Add Bok Choy & ginger & stirfry for 1 minute. Add chicken pieces & continue stirfrying until chicken is just about cooked thru. Add mushrooms & stirfry for another minute. Add blanched asparagus & bean paste mixture & stir for another minute. If sauce isn’t think enough, add dissolved cornstarch mixture & continue stirring until thickened.
Serve over Jasmine Rice.

GotGarlic

I like it best roasted. Heat oven to 400*, drizzle asparagus with evoo, sprinkle with salt & pepper and roast for 8 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice as soon as it comes out of the oven.

Just last night I made risotto with steamed asparagus and green beans. I cut the veggies in 1" pieces, steamed them in the microwave in a few tbsp of chicken broth, then stirred them into the finished risotto.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
this may be a bit weird and may in-fact be less than 10,000% accurate in technical terms, but . . .

my fav method for 'sparrie-grass' (heh, it's my kids' term...) is braising.

started off as steaming. problem: small in-attentions resulted in a dry pan, burnt stuff . . .

so,,, solution added:

in a saute pan or fry pan - lay one/two spears opposite the hand and at 90' to handle.
lay down remaining spears with tips on the above spears. this is a hold over from the steaming origins where the tips are steamed, but the stalks are in the boiling steam water . . .

the braise liquid: oh my . . . what I haven't used.
chicken stock
beef stock
fish stock
clam juice
tomato juice
pineapple juice
cranberry juice
ginger ale
even comma gasp milk

the major difference from steaming is
- the braising liquid is deep enough to cover the stalks and
- the heat input is reduced to the minimum needed to produce the occasional steam bubble.

you can dress up the braising liquid with wine, spirits, herbs and seasonings of choice.
because "the thing" has a longer time/exposure to the flavored liquid, one can produce a wonderful palette of tastes to go with the dish du'jour.

bring the liquid to a gentle simmer, cover. poke with fork for done-ness test.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I like to pan fry it in olive oil until tender and top with a little butter and sea salt and pepper.

vyapti

in a saute pan or fry pan - lay one/two spears opposite the hand and at 90' to handle.
lay down remaining spears with tips on the above spears. this is a hold over from the steaming origins where the tips are steamed, but the stalks are in the boiling steam water . . .
this is a great idea.

FryBoy

I also thrown on some asparagus when I'm grilling. I coat it with olive oil and sprinkle on some S&P, then grill it on direct heat for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the spears. Nice when they get a little blackened.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Am I the only one that still peels asparagus? It makes the stalk more tender and allows you to cut off less of the base. Then I steam or braise until a little softer, but still not done. Drain the liquid, then brown a bit in butter, or even a little beurre blanc. Or use an orange hollandaise sauce.

Attachments

• asparagus (2).jpg
    asparagus (2).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 118
  • asparagus (4).jpg
    asparagus (4).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 110
  • asparagus.jpg
    asparagus.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 113

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've never peeled mine, SS, but Julia Child said to always peel asparagus. I guess I haven't because I thought maybe the vitamins are in the skin, like so many other veggies. I'll try it next time so I can see what I've been missing.

FryBoy

I rarely peel asparagus. Doing so is a waste of time, flavor, and texture, IMHO. Peeling asparagus is a holdover from the days of so-called haut cuisine, and I think it was done mostly for appearance and because people thought that such the peels were hard to digest and somehow bad for you. Nonsense. The only exception for me is very large spears, and then only the last couple of inches toward the bottom of the spear. But then I like the peel on apples, potatoes, yams, eggplant, and other veggies and fruits that some people (e.g., my MIL, may she rest in peace) find unappetizing.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention compound butter(s). Prep any way you wish & serve with a pat or so. What you don't use for the asparagus, you can use on other veggies (broc, brussels sprouts, green beans, etc.) or in mashed taters, etc.

Lemon or Lime Chive Butter
Combine 1/2 cup softened butter, 2 T finely snipped fresh chives, 2 t finely shredded lemon or lime zest, 1 clove garlic, minced, and 1/8 t salt - until well combined. Transfer to a sheet of waxed paper. Shape into a long roll/log. Wrap in waxed paper & twist ends to seal. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until firm. Makes about 1/2 cup.

I agree Fryboy - peeling asparagus is a complete waste of time. In addition, for me at least it ruins the appearance of the spears.

And there's absolutely no waste involved if you save the tough ends & use them to make a lovely Cream of Asparagus soup.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Actually, Doug, it's really not a waste of time, and in my kitchen at least, it's not for digestive reasons.

I prefer the big thick stalks. I think they have much more flavor. But if you use the 'snap' point to trim them, you lose a lot of stalk due to the thickness of the outer layer. By peeling the end, the snap point finds more tender meat further down and you get much more of the stalk.

Another advantage is that the stalks cook much more quickly if they're peeled. The tips don't get a chance to overcook while the heat/moisture/butter is penetrating the more fibrous stalk. They cook in just about a minute, even the thick ones. They also soak up your lemon, butter, or sauce better since they are more porous.

And personally, I think the beautiful two-tone makes a very pretty presentation.

And besides, my friend, I learned to cook in the days of haute cuisine and some old habits just die hard!:whistling: