How do I get a good crust on sea scallops?

Sass Muffin

#coffeefreak
Gold Site Supporter
I love them.
The few times I've prepared them, I believe I blotted them with paper towels, then did them in a skillet/ in olive oil with a little Old Bay.
This has been years ago.
I'm thinking it's while I was active on Barb's cooking forum.

lilbopeep

Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I love them.
The few times I've prepared them, I believe I blotted them with paper towels, then did them in a skillet/ in olive oil with a little Old Bay.
This has been years ago.
I'm thinking it's while I was active on Barb's cooking forum.

I miss Barb and JoeV.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I have no clue as to 'the other unmentionable site' so the drama has completely passed me by; alas and alack....not!

but indeed many many many fish/shellfish/seafoods need a minimal touch.
drowning the dish in brimstone peppers and/or other overpowering seasoning defeats the whole idea.

we had dinner at a farm-to-table "specialty eatery" the other night. meat loaf - grass fed/finished beef doctored to death with herbs. one point shy of inedible.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I found some dry scallops and I used a little bit of everyone's technique to sear them tonight!

Put scallops on layers of paper towels and patted dry with more towels on top. Kept in fridge for a coupe of hours, in the towels.

Took scallops out, seasoned one side with salt and pepper.

Put a cast iron pan in a cold oven and heated the oven to 500 degrees. Kept the pan in there for about 15 minutes after oven reached 500.

Put hot pan on stove burner on high. Poured in some avocado oil and heated to smoking. Laid in scallops, seasoned side down, then seasoned the other side while in the pan.

Seared scallops on first side for 2 minutes, then flipped, and added a chunk of butter to pan. Seared other side for 1 minute or less.

Wonderful!

But the butter got very brown, very quickly. Tasted fine, but I like Chowder's idea of putting the butter on the scallops after taking them out of the pan.

Will try that next time.

Lee

Attachments

• Scallops.JPG
    Scallops.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 63

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
good looking !

the key is to have a really hot pan, very little oil/fat, and dry scallops.
'all butter' as the only and too much fat will burn at roughly 250'F - a little butter will give you a bit more color, but too much makes for bitter burnt....

I checked the package on the Weis dry pack scallops. there is zilch info on "packed by" - I was hoping to discover the supplier behind the 'store label'
the "lot number" shows '02689 2722' - now,,,, the 02689 is suspiciously like a USDA "plant code" and digging in it does trace to American Foods out of Norfolk, VA - all good so far.... but their coding indicates M for meat and P for poultry processing. nothing about shellfish. if you're looking for dry pack just check the label ingredients section. anything listed other than "scallops" is very likely a preservative and plumping agent/chemical.

I usually preheat the CI on low gas flame, then when the handle is too hot to touch (my version of 'yup, it's preheated') add peanut or safflower oil and crank up the flame until it is quite literally giving off smoke. the oven preheat is another method.

I'm exhausting my peanut oil and moving away from peanut oil . . . I find it imparts a taste...that I don't like. safflower seems to remain quite neutral.