Hot Fudge Sauce & Preservative

TwistyExpress

I've got a great hot fudge sauce. I want to add a preservative. Something to keep out the nasties that like sweets, like mold & bacteria.

What should I use & how much? My limited knowledge has me guessing about 1-1/2 tsp sodium citrate to my 2 cups sugar & 1 cup cocoa...

TwistyExpress

Damn. I figured when i expressed my ignorance of a subject, the trolls would be all over it.. Wow! Not a peep..

Still not sure but I'll bet I'm close..

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, Twisty, I'm guessing that our members, including me, might be as much at a loss as you are regarding this question.

Welcome to NCT - sorry I can't help with the hot fudge sauce preservative!

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Sugar IS a preservative. With that much sugar, you shouldn't need any other chemicals.
If you want it to be shelf stable, process it in a water bath. Otherwise, just refrigerate it. It will last a year or more.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I use sodium citrate for spherification. It will add a salty taste to your food. I had never heard of it as a preservative.

kirai1

When it comes to adding a preservative to your hot fudge sauce, it's important to prioritize food safety and follow recommended guidelines. While I can provide some general information, it's always best to consult a food safety expert or a qualified professional for precise advice.

One common preservative used in food products is potassium sorbate. It inhibits the growth of molds, yeast, and some bacteria. The appropriate usage level of potassium sorbate varies depending on factors such as the specific recipe and pH level. Typically, it is used at concentrations ranging from 0.1% to 0.2% of the total weight of the product.

To calculate the amount of potassium sorbate needed, you would need to know the weight of your hot fudge sauce and then use the appropriate percentage. For example, if you have 500 grams of hot fudge sauce and want to use 0.1% potassium sorbate, you would need 0.5 grams of potassium sorbate.

It's essential to carefully measure and mix any preservative into your hot fudge sauce to ensure proper dispersion. Additionally, make sure to follow good manufacturing practices, maintain proper hygiene, and store the sauce under appropriate conditions to minimize the risk of microbial contamination.

Again, I recommend consulting a food safety expert or professional who can provide specific guidance based on your recipe and desired shelf life.