Hot Dog Buns

What type ofbread do you prefer on your dogs?

• New England (top sliced)

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • American (side sliced)

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Regular bread

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've had all three types but still get the American side sliced usually. That is unless loaded with a lot of stuff on top such as chilli.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I like top sliced. For some reason they are frequently out when I go to the store. In that case, side sliced. If I am hungry and have dogs and no buns bread slices wins. In that case it usually splits in half and the condiments end up in my hand. Blech.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have to go with top-sliced, too. Much easier to deal with.

Does anybody prefer forgoing the bun entirely and eating dogs with brown bread and baked beans?

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have done that Lee. They are great that way. Sometimes I broil them, cut them up, and put dome brown mustard on the side for a dipping sauce.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Chili cheese dog all the way (whole-wheat bun, bead of Tabasco brand hot & spicy mustard, Chili (with beans cause that’s the way we roll LOL), shredded cheddar and chopped raw yellow onion.

For anyone who has eaten at New Jersey’s Rascals or Hot Grill, “One chili cheese dog all the way, one!” LOL

010812_chili_cheese_dog_P1090285.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have to go with top-sliced, too. Much easier to deal with.

Does anybody prefer forgoing the bun entirely and eating dogs with brown bread and baked beans?

Lee

Franks and beans - sautéed bacon, onions and hot dogs (cut into bite sized pieces). B & M baked beans added to pot along with my homemade BBQ sauce and rub.

franks-beans-1-24-10-1.jpg

OR

Hot dogs with onions and tomato sometimes served over buttered pasta.

062811_hot_dogs_onions_tomato.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Side sliced here, I don't think I've ever seen top sliced. The weiner/frank/wee-nee/dog (whatever you call it) is more important to me than the bun. I like Nathan's franks, mustard, chili (no beans :D), and red onions.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Franks and beans - sautéed bacon, onions and hot dogs (cut into bite sized pieces). B & M baked beans added to pot along with my homemade BBQ sauce and rub.

OR

Hot dogs with onions and tomato sometimes served over buttered pasta.

Now I'm a big fan of B&M Baked beans. I buy them by the case as well as their brown bread which is really good especially for a canned bread go figure.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the top sliced I've seen around here are more like a yeast dinner roll; no problem particularly, but not "classic" - or "ancient" - depending on the amount of RAM in your cell phone....

what we need is small - medium - large sizes for hot dog rolls.

small for the folks who are avoiding carbs
medium aka standard for normal people
large for me who considers a hot dog simple an excuse to pile tons of stuff on a roll....

Lefty

Yank
I forgot to post my own like. Top sliced. They are great when you butter them and put them on the upper rack to toast.

6a00d8341c77ee53ef014e884feaee970d-320wi

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Until maybe five years ago, I didn't realize that top-sliced is mainly a New England thing. They are the only hot dog rolls (we call them "rolls", too!) we ever had growing up.

JoeC., I'm delighted that you can get brown bread in Kentucky! I've made it in coffee cans myself, but the B & M is just as good. Excellent sliced and toasted, with butter!

lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I can't recall ever seeing the top sliced in the stores around here, but since I make all of our bread I don't go down that aisle very often. I'll have to look the next time I go shopping. When I make hot dog rolls, I can slice them any way I want to, as long as it's from the side. :mrgreen: I don't often eat more than one dog in a bun/roll, but I do have a second one cut up and mixed with the baked beans. Mmmmmmm...

PanchoHambre

LOL I like bread - why? because I never seem to have buns for hot dogs and it makes them even more spontaneous and lazy - and its cheaper and hotdogs are the ultimate cheap lazy food.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL I like bread - why? because I never seem to have buns for hot dogs and it makes them even more spontaneous and lazy - and its cheaper and hotdogs are the ultimate cheap lazy food.

Excellent explanation and rationale, Panch! :clap:

Lee