Homemade Syrups

Saliha

I have made last times a lot of different syrups; using with ice cream, drinks, fruit salads, cakes etc.

This one is my syrup number one - taste like liquid candy and easy to make:

Strawberry Simple Syrup recipe

strawberry+simple+syrup+4.jpg

Yield: about 3 1/2 cups

2 lbs fresh strawberries
4 cups water
2 cups sugar

Wash the berries and remove stems. Roughly chop or quarter the strawberries and place them into a medium saucepan. Cover with the water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook the berries for 20 minutes. Carefully skim and discard any foam that rises to the top.

After 20 minutes, the berries will be much lighter in color and the water should be a dark pink or red. Place a fine mesh strainer over a second saucepan and pour the strawberry liquid through it. Resist the temptation to press down on the cooked berries to extract more juice. This will make the syrup cloudy. After straining, discard the cooked berries.

Add the sugar to the liquid and bring back to a boil. Stir constantly, until the sugar has dissolved completely.* Skim and discard any foam that rises to the top. Remove from the heat and let the syrup cool completely before transferring to glass jars for storage in the refrigerator. The syrup will last for several weeks.

* If you want a thicker syrup for a topping on pancakes, ice cream or other desserts, simmer the syrup for 5-10 minutes longer until the liquid reduces and thickens further.

Source: http://www.barefeetinthekitchen.com/2013/07/strawberry-simple-syrup-recipe.html

Saliha

As the strawberry syrup is like heaven on the earth, this one is then number two in my favourite list:

Rose Petal Syrup

picVj4y7O.jpg

2 cups water (distilled or fresh spring water is best)
4 cups fresh edible rose petals
2 cups white sugar
2 -3 drops food coloring (optional)

Heat the water to a boil, add the sugar and turn off the heat.

Add the rose petals, cover, turn heat to low, and let simmer for one hour until thick and syrupy. Stir in food coloring of choice.

Strain through a filter and pour into clean (preferably sterilized) bottles, cap them and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks. May be frozen.

Note: The darker the petals, the darker the syrup. Adding orange or yellow petals can make it brownish so a few drops of food coloring can come in handy if you think you need it.

Try it with orange blossoms, lavender, lemon balm, red clover or rosemary (no stems). Serve in teas or lemonade. Great drizzled over pancakes, pound cake, fruit or ice cream! Thicken with confectioner's sugar for a cookie or cake glaze. A great base for rose jelly, and makes wonderful gifts!

P.S. You can make a simple undistilled version of orange blossom water or rose water by omitting the sugar in this recipe.

Source: http://www.food.com/recipe/cottage-garden-rose-petal-syrup-sweetened-rose-water-373621

:wub:

Saliha

Today I made peppermint syrup and now my whole house smells strongly peppermint. Note that I used only 5 dl = 2.11 cups sugar and 2 teaspoon citric acid to liter of water.

Mint Syrup (Sirop de Menthe)

img.php

This is a traditional French recipe for a classic syrup drink of a sugar syrup flavoured with peppermint and spearmint and with citric acid as a stabilizer and preservative.

Ingredients:
1 large bunch of spearmint
1 large bunch of peppermint
1l water (4 and a half cups)
1kg sugar (2.2 pounds)
10g citric acid (0.02 pounds)

Add the water to a pan, bring to a boil and immediately take off the heat. Add the mint leaves then stir in the sugar and citric acid to dissolve. Cover the pan with a clean cloth then set aside for 48 hours to steep, stirring occasionally to mix the ingredients.

After this time, pass through a fine-meshed sieve then bottle and stopper securely. To serve, pour into a large glass with plenty of ice.

Source: http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/mi...irop-de-menthe

Saliha

Candy Cane Syrup

stockingsmiley2.gif

candy_cane_syrup_10-500x333.jpg

This is such a simple recipe and the result is a decadent and sweet syrup that’s wonderful for flavoring hot chocolate or drizzling over ice cream.

All you need is 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of water, and 6 to 8 candy canes.

Start by pouring the sugar and water into a saucepan.

candy_cane_syrup_01-250x166.jpg
candy_cane_syrup_02-250x166.jpg

Give it a good stir and turn the stove on medium heat. Meanwhile, unwrap from 6 to 8 candy canes and break them into pieces.

candy_cane_syrup_03-250x166.jpg
candy_cane_syrup_04-250x166.jpg

Add the candy cane pieces to the pan and continue stirring frequently as the mixture heats up.

candy_cane_syrup_05-250x166.jpg
candy_cane_syrup_06-250x166.jpg

The candy canes will start dissolving, and the syrup will begin to turn a creamy pink color. When all the sugar and candy canes are dissolved, it will turn clear and take on a deep pink color.

candy_cane_syrup_07-250x166.jpg
candy_cane_syrup_09-250x166.jpg

Continue cooking until the syrup comes to a boil. Let it boil for about 2-3 minutes and then turn off the heat and allow the syrup to cool in the pan. When it’s cooled, pour the syrup into a jar with a lid for storage.

This syrup makes a lovely gift if you put it in a pretty jar or bottle and decorate it with a ribbon and a candy cane.

candy_cane_syrup_12-500x333.jpg

http://www.chicaandjo.com/2010/01/06/candy-cane-syrup/

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful!

I noticed on one of your posts, I think it was the mint syrup, that you serve over ice. I'm thinking that a shot or so of some adult beverage in there might be just the thing that syrup and ice needs!

:drink2:

Lee