Hi from Michigan

SilverSage

Resident Crone
So I flew up here early this a.m. for funeral. This is the trip from hell!

It's too hard to type much on this iPhone with one finger, but I see several things I want to respond to.

I miss you guys. I wish you were all here instead of me. LOL

When I left this morning it was 80 and sunny. Here it's cold, rainy, gray, overcast, --- DREARY!!!!!! I remember why I left Michigan 20 years ago.

I'll update when I get back.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm so sorry you have lost someone, SS. I saw last night that you mentioned having an early flight with your brother. We'll keep the porch light on for you til you get back.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'm sorry for the reason you're up there, SS, and I know that the weather doesn't improve until June 15th - so hurry back.

Lefty

Yank
I too am sorry for your loss. I look forward to seeing you back on in a happier circustance.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Silver Sage you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry for your loss.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your thoughts and kind words. But please know that this was an expected celebration of a long and happy life, and not a sad or tragic time.

My uncle was nearly 90 years old, and when he was diagnosed with cancer a couple years ago, he made the decision not to have treatments. He watched both my mother and my aunt (his two younger sisters) suffer more from the treatments than the disease, and decided that at his advanced age there was no upside to chemo. So while it is always a sad moment to lose someone close (and we were), we really went to celebrate the life of a very kind and caring man. We're Irish and Catholic, so funerals (especially of the elderly), take on a whole different meaning.

My mother died very young (39) and this was her older brother. My dad was a drunk, and a couple of my aunts & uncles really raised us. At various times in our lives, we lived with them and their families. We were closer to some of our aunts, uncles and cousins than we ever were to our dad or later, our step family.

But that's not the point. He was a loving, caring man who shouldered the added responsibility of his sister's children without complaint. If he ever struggled or resented it, we never knew. And till the day he died, he never uttered an unkind word about my father (although he did threaten to kill him once when he beat me bloody).

He died Monday morning, and the services were Wednesday & Thursday, so we all had a lot of last minute scrambling to get back to central Michigan with less than 48 hours notice. It created the "Trip From Hell".

After the funeral, we went to his favorite watering hole to have a beer for Ed.:alc: It's what we do. He would have expected no less.:alc:

Cheers, Uncle Ed!!!!