Help w/Propane Smoker

The BoardSMITH

You may remember I purchased a propane Perfect Flame smoker from Lowe's last year. We have used it several times and I am happy with the results. However, I have a tough time keeping the temperature controlled unless I stay with it constantly fiddling with the burner knob. Is there anything I can purchase that will help to regulate the internal temperature of the smoker by controlling the gas flow to the burner?

Thanks!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i knew i recognized the name...you are a smoking meat forum with me

let me look around for you and see if i can come up with some solutions

as for simple ideas, does it use a water pan? i personally recommend them now for propane uses. It regulates the temperatures so that there are no heat spikes..keeps it a steady temp...not sure if ur particular smoker is set up for a water pan though.

thread on propane smokers from the other site u posted ur question on..including if you look around some threads on mods for your smoker as well as i believe a way to adjust the needle valves or replace the valves all together..just gotta search in the two pages of threads..

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I have a smoker similar to yours. How much does it vary? +/-5, +/-20?

Like Bam said, use that water pan, and keep it full. I usually refill mine with 1/2 gallon per hour, even on low heat. If you can, keep it out of the sun, and wind. You know how much the sun can heat up a car, same goes for a smoker. If you can't keep it out of the sun, keep it in the sun consistently. Consistency is what you're shooting for.

I can maintain mine at +/-5 degrees measured with a digital thermometer if I keep a close eye on it. I think anything better than that is asking a lot from a propane vertical smoker.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
It took me awhile to get used to the sensitivity of the gas adjustment and the first couple of uses 30 +- degree changes were common. Now I make tiny changes and am able to keep temps within 10 degrees or so. I agree completely with RobsanX re: sun & wind, two factors producing heavy influence on temperature.

I use a Maverick ET-73 thermometer with high and low temp warning alarms set so that I don't have to spend all day running outside to check on performance.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
this gadget automates a lot of it but is not "out of the box" useful for gas:
http://www.rocksbarbque.com/

obviously the PLC develops a signal for the fan, no reason that signal could not be adapted to a gas valve / servo / something . . .

phreak

A buddy of mine used a thermostat controller(not sure if that's the correct term) from a small camper's gas heater on the gasser he built from a stainless medical cabinet. He's actually on SMF, although I'm not sure of his screen name. He lives in Port Huron Michigan if that helps you track him down.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
A buddy of mine used a thermostat controller(not sure if that's the correct term) from a small camper's gas heater on the gasser he built from a stainless medical cabinet. He's actually on SMF, although I'm not sure of his screen name. He lives in Port Huron Michigan if that helps you track him down.

i know Richtee made one out of a cabinet

i will look later for the smoker and see if i can find it and post pix..on my way to trader joes for some food

phreak

His screen name on SMF is ShaneHolz. Real nice guy that I'm sure will answer any questions you have about his rig.