Hawaiian BBQ Ribs (Outdoor DO)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Made this tonight. I used 2 pieces of pork spare ribs (bone in) and two large pieces of “Country Style” pork ribs. The spare ribs get cut into bone pieces when done, and the Country Style ribs gets shredded for sandwiches.

Hawaiian BBQ Ribs (Outdoor DO)

Ingredients

1 slab Pork spare ribs, cut into 4 bone and brisket pieces (or Country Style ribs).
1 1/2 cups Hawaiian BBQ Sauce

-- Hawaiian BBQ Sauce

1 cup tomato sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
3/4 cup Pineapple Juice
Dash Cayenne pepper

Outdoor DO: 10”
Coals: 22 – 10 bottom, 12 Top
Cook Time: 2 Hours

Procedure

Mix all the sauce ingredients together and set aside.

Season the ribs and arrange in the DO. Cover with sauce. Cover DO with lid and apply heat by adding first batch of coals and cook undisturbed for 1 hour. After 1 hour, replace coals with fresh batch and cook for 1 hour more. Remove from heat, allow to cool 15 minutes. Cut meat into serving sizes and plate.

Put the Ribs in the DO and cook for 2 hours (approximately 350 degrees).
step1-12.jpg

Once they are done, bring the DO in and re-oil your lid. It’s not often talked about in the recipes, but this happens after every cook. Here’s how it looks after clean up and re-oiling.
Step2-8.jpg

Inside are the ribs.
step3-6.jpg

Cut them up.
step4-5.jpg

I also used “Country Style” ribs which I shredded. Plate all the meat and serve with buns if needed.
step4_a.jpg

step5-4.jpg

step6-2.jpg

step7-2.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ya know, you had me with the third picture! By the time I got to the close-up in the last picture, I was ready to jump in!

Looks fantastic, K!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Oh why do you tease us so?:huh: No I know what's going to be for din-din tonight. They look lip smacking delicious.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys! If you cook these indoors, you may want to drop the cook time to 1.5 hours. I ran the full 2 hours since I get a full hour per batch of coals. The Country Style ribs shredded nicely. The Spare Ribs were literally falling off the bone. So if you want a little more bite to your bone-in ribs, consider dropping the cook time a bit if done indoors.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, I actually got the idea from seeing a bottle of Lawry's Hawaiian Marinade in Publix! So by all means, marinate for 2-4 hours then smoke!