Have you ever thought about making your own bacon?

Shermie

Site Supporter
I was watching the TV program How It's Made, which airs on the Science Channel.
One such ep had a segment on how bacon is made. And then, I thought to myself; "Hmm, I wonder if I can do that!"

It is made using pork bellies with the skin & excess fat being removed. It would take some time to do, because it has to be cured for at least a couple of days, slow cooked in the oven & then partially frozen, which aids in easier slicing of the meat. Then the slices went for a quick run in a long microwave oven for about a few minutes.

Are there any safety precautions that must be taken beforehand? What the risks might be? And will it come out right? I DO have a meat slicer to slice it with when it is cured. I would imagine that it has to be soaked in brine and some liquid smoke first. Just wondering if it would work or not.

I'm seriously considering getting this kit to do it with (link below). :wow:

http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/products/Epicurean-Bacon-Making-Kit.html

Last edited:

chilefarmer

Here is the recipe I like. Recipe can be adjusted for the amount of pork belly you have. If you make your own bacon you will never buy bacon again. CF
You might also check here, my blog. http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/

Bill’s Homemade Bacon

Ingredients:

One 5# pork belly
¼ cup of salt
Flavor: ¾ cup of Honey, Real sugar Cane Syrup or brown sugar. (I use dark brown sugar)
1 teaspoon pink salt, (cure #1) “the curing salt containing sodium nitrite, not pink-colored salt”

Mix all flavor ingredients together.

Rub pork belly with your cure. Be sure and cover completely and rub in good.
Place pork in a large zip lock bag and place in refrigerator. Turn over every day for at least a week. Some liquid will form in the bag, this is good, do not pour off liquid. (I cure for 10 days)
At the end of the week, remove from bag, and rinse under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Place back in refrigerator in an open container so that it dries well. It should be tacky to touch. Coat with course ground black pepper.

Smoking Bacon:

Heat smoker to 150° Place bacon in smoker hang or place on grates. Add your smoking wood, your choice, I like pecan or hickory. Fruit woods are nice also. Smoke for color and flavor. When the color you like is reached, increase pit temp to 200°. When the internal temp of your bacon is 156° remove from smoker. We are not trying to cook the bacon, just trying to kill off any bugs.
Cool before slicing, I put mine back in the refrigerator over night and slice the next day. Package in vacuum bags and freeze.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, CF! I may give this a try this summer!

Will have to get some cure#1 (well, I might have some old stuff - does it have a shelf life?

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm going to get the kit that I mentioned, get a pork belly, get set up & ready to go after I move and try it & see.

It should be very interesting!! :applause:

chilefarmer

I buy pork belly from one of our food vendors.
But most Asian and Mexican markets have them. If I just needed one belly this is where I would look. Also a good meat market might not have them but can get one for you. CF