Ham and Cheese Bow Ties

homecook

1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard (I use grainy mustard)
2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta, cooked and drained
6 to 8 ounces fully cooked ham, julienned (I've used leftover ham)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the mustard and Colby cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Add pasta and ham; stir until coated.
Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. 4-6 servings.

Barb

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Man, Barb, you come up with some GREAT ideas!

Yet ANOTHER one of yours, copied and saved! :)

Lee

chowhound

Thiis sounds very good! Do you have a pic of it? I always like to see what I'm working towards mine looking like :^)

homecook

Thiis sounds very good! Do you have a pic of it? I always like to see what I'm working towards mine looking like :^)

Sorry Chow, I don't. I never used to take pics of things I've made until recently. I also need my dd to show me how to get the pics from my camera to the computer! I'm so illiterate when it comes to the computer.
I know what you mean about seeing the end product. I'm going to start being better about that.

Barb

chowhound

Well then maybe I'll take a picture after I make this and you can let me know if it came out right. :biggrin:
I've never done the transfer and bake thing. Not that I remember anyway.

homecook

Well then maybe I'll take a picture after I make this and you can let me know if it came out right. :biggrin:
I've never done the transfer and bake thing. Not that I remember anyway.

The only reason you transfer into a baking dish and put in the oven is to heat it all through and thicken a bit and melt the cheese on top. You could probably just make in the saucepan (if it's big enough), put the cheese on, cover, wait 5-10 minutes and it's done.

Barb

chowhound

Oh, no. I'm making it like it's printed out.
I'm even going to buy that little bow-tie pasta (lol).

Last edited:

RNE228

Sounds yummy! Might try this this weekend. I think though, one clove of garlic is on the light side. Maybe a dozen or so :D

chowhound

I just made this. I couldn't find Bow Tie pasta, so I had to settle for Farfalle..... :yum: oh I kill myself....
Seriously, this is a great dish. I used Smith's ham, which lent a smoky taste, and followed the directions as written (well OK... I didn't measure the salt or pepper or parm), but I didn't add or subtract anything from the ingredients listed. The only thing I found to be a little bit off were the servings.... :pig: I easily ate half, but this was all I had for dinner, too.
Assessment: Primo!:a1: This will be made again.
Thanks for the recipe Homecook.

This is what it looked like in my kitchen. I let it rest and it was thick like a lasagna.

Attachments

• Homecook's Ham & Bowties.jpg
    Homecook's Ham & Bowties.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 270

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We are going shopping soon, and as promised this is going on the list. I also think this would qualify as a budget recipe!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finally got around to making this, since I picked up a nice ham steak on sale.

I used a bag of shredded "Mac and Cheese" blend of cheese, and sprinkled some smoked paprika on top.

Otherwise, I followed Barb's recipe as written.

WONDERFUL!!!! I served some to my friend and she loved it as much as I did. Can't wait to have leftovers tonight!

Served with fried green tomatoes.

Thanks for a terrific recipe, Barb! :wow:

Lee

Attachments

• Ham and bowties.JPG
    Ham and bowties.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Ham and bowties, plated.JPG
    Ham and bowties, plated.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 117

homecook

Thanks for trying it, Lee! I had forgotten about this recipe and it used to be an old standby. I'm going to make this again soon.........Thanks for bumping it up. :flowers: