Granny's War Cake

Ian M.

This is a recipe which has been passed down in my wife's family over the years and I finally took a notion to bake one this afternoon. I assume that the name of the cake came from the fact that it was popularized during the lean war years when ingredients were rationed and things like white sugar and eggs were pretty dear. This recipe has neither of those items in it.

War Cake

2 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening (not oil)
2 cups water (or substitute a bit of unsweetened apple juice for some of the water or some cider, perhaps, again instead of some of the water)
1 pound of baking raisins (about 2 to 2 1/2 cups)

Mis these ingredients together in a large sauce pan and bring to boil. Then boil mixture for five minutes, siirring constantly. Keep heat moderate to low. After five minutes, remove from heat and cool completely.

Then add:

3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 tart apple, peeled and cored and sliced in small, thin slices (I like Gala or McIntosh)
chopped nuts - pecans or walnuts (optional)

Combine these dry ingredients with the mixture in the saucepan and mix everything together thoroughly. Pour batter into a buttered 9"X13" baking pan and bake in moderate oven (300 degrees) for 1 hour until done and cake springs back when touched. Allow to cool and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping. It's truly good to the last bite! :chef: