Gorp

Johnny West

Every holiday season Nancy makes gorp. I bought all the gluten free products at the commissary and she got vegan Worcestershire sauce on line… my lunch.

B8C54ECF-10BA-4BE5-A292-4190F355DF39.jpeg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I love that stuff. We call it Texas Trash. It's a great little give-away gift for Christmas too...put it in some long cellophane bags and tie it up with a pretty ribbon.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
G.O.R.P. - how we used to refer to Good Old Raisins and Peanuts when we were in Girl Scouts. Everyone from the Girl Scouts, to the Boy Scouts, to the Swedes, to a pair of California hikers takes credit for inventing it. Whatever its origins or the recipe, it's hard to beat!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We call that Nuts and Bolts. Gorp is as SS described, but I think we added M & M's.

I haven't made Nuts and Bolts in a couple of years, because I'm addicted to it and have trouble stopping eating 2 huge roasting pans of it. I might make it this year, though. :whistle:

Johnny West

That was the name that stuck in my head. My late father in law called it “junk”.

my thinks she has to vacuum pack everything now. It started making popping sounds as did this so it will be interesting to see how crushed this is.

77965CF4-D36E-48EC-8B0A-A72C4706ED8F.jpeg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Never made it. Anyone want to post a recipe?
GORP is just another name for Trail Mix. There is no recipe. You just mix up whatever you have. Peanuts, raisins, cheerios, and m&ms are pretty standard. But any nuts, dried fruits, chocolate bits, small cereal, small crackers, coconut, etc, are often used. You just dump stuff in a baggie and take it with you for a high energy snack.

Johnny's wife made Chex Mix - the classic from the box. I'm sure you've seen that recipe before.

Johnny West

Never made it. Anyone want to post a recipe?
Landolakes.com has the original recipe in their Recipes file. My wife throws it together with what she likes. This year everything was gluten free and I know there was no butter in it. She used ghee…

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I guess I’m looking for the one with the Chex cereal. My mom and aunts made it all the time.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Landolakes.com has the original recipe in their Recipes file. My wife throws it together with what she likes. This year everything was gluten free and I know there was no butter in it. She used ghee…
How long did she bake it for? 1 hour seems like a long time.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We have a thread on the Chex Mix. MmmmMMMM! Pictures, too!

Lee