Getting a Sous Vide!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Finally! Broke down & decided to get Sous Vide to cook steaks. Found an elcheapo unit at Amazon, along with a container for the water. It's also a smart unit that can be programmed online through your smart phone for use with tempting recipes online!!
Inkbird Wifi Sous Vide..jpg
Collapsible hinged lid container..jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Have fun with it, Shermie! Looking forward to seeing how you like it!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Never got the water container!! Too late to put in a complaint to Amazon for a replacement!! Not dealing with 3rd-party sellers anymore!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad::mad:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You know, I just watched a Cook Country episode where they did a prime rib. They prepped the meat the way I do (separate the bones, salt it and age it in the fridge), but then they seared it, then sous vided it for a minimum of 16 hours, rested, THEN under the broiler for about 5 minutes.

Sheesh! Definitely more work than my oven-roasted rib.

Now, when they sliced it, it was pink/red all the way through. I gotta say that I love my slices which are more well-done on the very edges and pink/red in the middle. I love the contrast and having both.

That said, if I could ever find more space, I might get a sous vide to play with someday. Just not with prime rib. :giggle:

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I had 3 sous vide thingies. First I got the Sous Vide Supreme. That was a gift for my 60th birthday 8 years ago. Then a couple years later I added an Anova Precision Cooker, aka the sous vide “stick” circulator. Then last year I got the Anova Precision Oven, which does sous vide with steam instead of a water bath.

it was all taking too much space, so I shipped the SVS to my nephew, who just had a new baby. He graduated from Johnson and Wales, and is an excellent cook, but it was all out of his budget right now. So, I’m down to 2. I don’t even think about it any more. At least half of the proteins I cook go into the sous vide. It’s a great tool to have in your tool box.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Lee - I had to do a big standing rib for family. I did it in the oven at 250 and used the temp probe for Medium rare. Basically BBQ without the smoke. It was the most uniformly cooked roast.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lee - I had to do a big standing rib for family. I did it in the oven at 250 and used the temp probe for Medium rare. Basically BBQ without the smoke. It was the most uniformly cooked roast.

Crispy crust?

Lee