Gas vs Electric stoves. Which is better?

What’s better? Gas or electric stovetops?

• Total voters

Ironman

🍺
I’ve only ever had gas all my life so that’s what i like. We just bought a new stove and I’m glad we agreed on gas.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have gas and love it. Had electric once in an apartment and hated it.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
They each have their advantages and disadvantages. Like most people who grew up in the north or midwest, we had gas. It's what I learned on, and all I ever knew. Once I left home, my first apartment had the old style electric coils. There was a bit of a learning curve, but the coil technology was never that great. Over the years, I moved south and west. Gas was a rarity - electric was the only option. But the newer smooth tops were a great improvement. Response time was better than coils; hot spots were pretty much eliminated; they were so easy to clean.

About 5 years ago, I got my first electric induction range. Response time was fantastic - as good as gas. Judy absolutely hated it - there is definitely a learning curve! Some of my pans (including the french copper) didn't work. We had that for 2 years before we moved, and our new house had gas available. For the first time since 1971, gas was an option for me so I got a dual fuel range - gas top and electric oven. I'm not impressed. WIth all the improvements in the modern electric stove tops, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Gas burners heat where the flame actually touches the pan, in a circle around the edges. Electric heats evenly over the entire bottom of the pan. Gas burners don't work as well on small pans. Unless you have a very small burner, the flames lick up the side of the pan instead of heating the bottom. Cooking for 2, I tend to use a lot of smaller pans, and only have 1 back burner to handle them. Gas is MESSY!!! I am absolutely sick and tired of constantly cleaning the gas stove top. The electric was so easy - just wipe off the smooth top and you're done.

THe one single feature I like about my gas range is the griddle in the center. I have 6 burners, and instead of grates, I can put the cast iron griddle insetrt over the 2 center butners. I keep it there permanently and use the griddle a lot. Unfortunately, that cover up the 2 medium sized burners, so I am left with just the big ones and the small one on the sides, but I find it a useful trade.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I grew up with a gas stove and I was always worried that the pilot light was out, that I could smell gas, that our house would blow up. Since I moved out after college, I've only had electric stoves.

Kathy is correct - the glass top stoves are far better than the coils, and are pretty darn good! I have absolutely no problem with my electric range and I never have to worry about carbon monoxide or being blown up.

The one thing I miss is the flame broiler, but it's a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have a small electric stove. :(
Small stove..png