Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Fried Turtle
1 turtle, approximately 12 inches in diameter
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 (6 ounce) can evaporated milk
Flour to coat
Kill turtle by removing head and dress as follows;
Dip in boiling water. Remove immediately.
Straighten legs, tail and neck, one at a time, and scrape off excess skin with sharp knife.
Remove lower shell with knife and cut off legs, neck and tail, and reserve.
Discard the rest of the turtle.
Chill overnight.
Dip turtle pieces in milk and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Coat with flour. Add enough
vegetable oil to 3/4 cover turtle pieces. Add turtle and cook over medium heat until well
browned. Turn and reduce to low heat; cover and cook for 2 hours or until tender.​
Make gravy from pan drippings, if desired.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
never cooked it.... ate it many times as a kid..........also ate coon, ground hog, crow, possum,.............. you eat what the Lord provides, and He never provided us with a deli...............
of course, it's offered here for JoeC, and for posterity....
"Life is a Buffet- something for everyone!-- if you see something you might like, take a portion; otherwise, leave it- somebody will try it."

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I saw a restaurant one time but for the life of me can't remember what state I was in at the time. It was called the Road Kill Dinner or Cafe and the menu had entries name like Armadillo on a half shell, Cocker Cutlets, Chunk of Skunk, Snake 'N' Bake etc. Really was a funny menu but we just had coffee, pie and left. :dizzy:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We had this as a kid growing up. Lot of work for about the equivalent of a half dozen chicken wings, LOL.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Where do you get the turtles to fry? I remember once we stopped and picked up a pretty big turtle that was crawling across the road. We just carried him to the other side, where there was a little bayou. But the ride home afterward was terrible because that turtle really stank and it made our hands stick, too. I mean, it was gross! Is that the kind you eat?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We get em right out of the lake and streams nearby the house. Mostly snapping turtles and no they don't stink like swamp turtles do.
That's not to say they smell like roses either... you can also pick em up at pet stores.. just don't tell em what you plan on doing with it, LOL!

EDIT: the lakes and streams back in Iowa growing up that is, not out here!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We get em right out of the lake and streams nearby the house. Mostly snapping turtles and no they don't stink like swamp turtles do.
That's not to say they smell like roses either... you can also pick em up at pet stores.. just don't tell em what you plan on doing with it, LOL!

EDIT: the lakes and streams back in Iowa growing up that is, not out here!

True! Some of those trutles can stink to high heaven! Wow!

Still, I'd try eating it!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I saw a restaurant one time but for the life of me can't remember what state I was in at the time. It was called the Road Kill Dinner or Cafe and the menu had entries name like Armadillo on a half shell, Cocker Cutlets, Chunk of Skunk, Snake 'N' Bake etc. Really was a funny menu but we just had coffee, pie and left. :dizzy:

That one has been around for a while. But it's still fun to see someone use it.

28wjfkm.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well there are swamp turtles that some folks use in soup.

There is no such thing as a “swamp turtle”. The swamp may be the environment of a species, but a “swamp turtle” is a misnomer. Typically, what some would erroneously call a “swamp turtle” are snapping turtles.

Of the myriad of genus such as the Chrysemys picta, Chrysemys picta picta, Deirochelys reticularia, Emydiodea blandingi, Graptemys flavimaculata, etc, etc, etc, they adapt to environment. But the pit, lake, or swamp they live in does not define them.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I did not know that, I really did think there was a swamp turtle and it was a different genus than snapping.
I know many common names of things have 'swamp' in their title just to define where they grow.. like swamp moss. So I guess it never occurred to me that there couldn't be a swamp turtle named as such because that is the only place it was found.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I did not know that, I really did think there was a swamp turtle and it was a different genus than snapping.
I know many common names of things have 'swamp' in their title just to define where they grow.. like swamp moss. So I guess it never occurred to me that there couldn't be a swamp turtle named as such because that is the only place it was found.

Well, when you think about it, it makes more sense. Mosquitoes grow in water, and that includes swamps. Leeches grow in water, and that includes swamps. Some snakes thrive in water and that includes swamps. But, we don’t have Swamp Mosquitoes, Swamp Leeches, and Swamp Snakes. Sure, they are THERE, but they have a unique genus differentiated from their environment.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Well, when you think about it, it makes more sense. Mosquitoes grow in water, and that includes swamps. Leeches grow in water, and that includes swamps. Some snakes thrive in water and that includes swamps. But, we don’t have Swamp Mosquitoes, Swamp Leeches, and Swamp Snakes. Sure, they are THERE, but they have a unique genus differentiated from their environment.

Oh gee thanks! There goes another one: Swamp snakes!! LMAO yer just debunking em all on me!!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
That's gettin' it Done !

I would recommend the "clothes-line" method of blood-letting......