Fried Cucumber???

vyapti

We have a gajillion cucumbers this year and I've been looking for new ways to eat them. Today, I sliced a cucumber into thin ribbons, fried it in a little olive oil & garlic, then reduced a few splashes of Marsala and lemon juice (and lots of cracked black pepper). It was pretty good.

I think this weekend, I'll add some cucumber to a stir fry ... see how it is. So I'm wondering, does anyone have good experiences with cooked cucumber?

K

Kimchee

I regularly include them in a noodle soup for lunch.
They are lightly cooked; I cook up my noodles in a broth,
then when they are done I dump into the boiling broth a bunch of thin sliced veggies,
including cucumber. Then I turn off the heat and stir for a minute or so.
They get a bit limp but keep a nice crunch; I like them a lot.

buckytom

Grill Master
i will add some julienned cuke to a thai inspired slaw to put on top of fish en papilotte.

it also works in tomato based veggie soups.

I luv a cuke & dill tea sandwich on white bread smeared with butter.

Cuke shooters - cut the cukes in 2" lengths, hollow out some of the insides, & fill with gazpacho. You drink the gazpacho & eat the cuke.

Slice & hollow the cukes out, & fill with whatever you like - couscous, pilaf, crab, shrimp, tuna, caponata, salmon etc.

GotGarlic

We had an abundance of cucumbers a couple of years ago and I was looking for recipes, too :smile: Found one for cucumbers sauteed with onions and seasoned with curry powder. It was pretty good.

We're eating them raw as well. I've just got a lot to eat. And they're short, fat buggers. Perfect for steaming. What a great idea.

Kewl ;-)

Here's one I saved to try, because it looked soooo good:

Summer Pasta Soup with Herbed Cucumber
Nat'l Pasta Association

Serves 8
4 oz. of any small pasta shape, such as Acine di Pepe, Orzo, Ditalini or Alphabets, uncooked
3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups plain low-fat yogurt or light sour cream
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. minced dill
2 tbsp. snipped chives
2 tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley
2 tbsp. minced mint
Salt and white pepper to taste

Garnish:
Cucumber, thinly sliced
Herb sprigs
Snipped chives

Prepare pasta according to package. Drain and set aside in large bowl. Process cucumber chunks in a food processor until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until well blended. Stir in pasta. Serve soup well chilled with any of the above garnishes.

Note: This soup makes great use of the bounty of summer herbs. Feel free to vary the amount of specific herbs, depending on individual taste.

Attachments

• summer pasta soup.jpg
    summer pasta soup.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 118