Esquites

Ironman

🍺
Esquites also known as elote en vaso is a Mexican snack or antojito. You can find them at local markets, and street vendors selling corn. The word esquites comes from the Nahuatl word ízquitl, which means "toasted corn".
-Wikipedia

This is what I base my recipe off of. I grilled the sweet corn we picked a few days ago with some orange peppers from the garden. I also added a wee bit of sugar and extra cilantro. I didn’t measure anything and we loved it. Allrecipes is my favorite recipe site.

recipe yields 6 servings

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 cups fresh sweet corn kernels
  • ½ medium white onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
  • 3 ½ cups crumbled cotija cheese, divided
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 2 medium limes, juiced
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • sea salt to taste
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat until sizzling. Add corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is toasted and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, 10 to 15 minutes

Step 2
Mix corn mixture, jalapeno, 3 tablespoons cotija cheese, mayonnaise, lime juice, cayenne, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Adjust seasonings, adding more of your preferred flavors if desired. Top with remaining cotija cheese and cilantro

303ED5B8-5D3A-4245-B3E6-D6B3689E81EE.jpeg
0979C664-66A0-43B2-B3EA-D89BBEF74078.jpeg
F615F1F7-4D05-4367-BE52-92851A104C54.jpeg