Entirely Raspberry Pie

Given the cost of raspberries, this may seem a bit extravagant. In fact, if it weren't for my raspberry-growing friends (I go out of my way to make friends with folks who grow expensive crops I'd rather not always have to buy and then bake them goodies in payment) this pie would probably be a raspberry peach pie or raspberry apple pie, which are also wonderful, but not entirely raspberry wonderful like this is. I like just a couple of little touches to lift the flavor of the raspberries; orange and a little bit of mint. I sweeten with both sugar and honey and use a pecan crumb topping I make. I've found that a pastry crust holds in too much moisture and doesn't settle down nicely on the berries after they're cooked.

Fit one 9-inch All Ready pie crust into a pie dish and set in refrigerator to chill until ready to use.

For filling:

5 cups raspberries
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbls. freshly squeezed orange juice (drink the remaining juice - it's good for you!)
Approximately 10 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped (optional)
1/3 cup warm honey
1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca (this acts as a thickening agent and also adds shine to the fruit)

For the pecan topping:

1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut up into small pieces
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F while you make the filling. To make the filling, puree 1/2 cup of the raspberries in a blender or food processor, along with the sugar, orange juice and mint leaves. Put the remaining berries in a large bowl and pour the puree, honey and tapioca over them. Stir very gently, preferably with a slotted spoon or rubber spatula, so as not to smash the berries. When the oven is completely preheated, turn the filling into the chilled crust and bake for 20 minutes. Start making the topping right away.

To make the topping, put the flour, sugar and butter in a large bowl and rub them together with your fingertips until you have uniform, gravellike crumbs. Mix in the pecans and refrigerate until ready to use. After 20 minutes, remove the pie from the oven and spread the crumbs evenly over the fruit, leaving a little margin around the edge. Lower the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for another 45 minutes. It's a good idea to use either a foil ring or an aluminum ring around the edge of the pie to prevent the edges from browning too fast. After 45 minutes, the juices should be bubbly and thickened. Cool the pie on a wire rack for several hours before slicing. If you cut this pie while it's still warm it will be too runny. Properly cooled and served with a dab of whipped cream on top it is just supurb! :)

chilefarmer

Fallon, why do you keep posting all the goodies, you know I can't resist. You also know I am already to big in the middle, I need more grow taller. But I love it Thanks, CF

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
okay, little patience required . . . got the goods "on order"

sounds right down my pie alley!

Attachments

• DSC_1489s.jpg
    DSC_1489s.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 145