Eggplant, Oven-fried, ATK

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Could have sworn I posted this, but can't find it. I am sold on this method! The first time I made it, I cut a storebought eggplant horizontally in circles. This time I used my long, skinny Ichiban eggplants and sliced them vertically into planks.

They are delicious out of the oven, as is, and I served some that way to my father. I topped mine and Kathy's with sliced mozzarella, campari tomatoes, and fresh basil and put them under the broiler until the cheese melted a bit. Sprinkled a couple of drops of balsamic glaze. Wonderful!

Here's the recipe/technique from my files:

"I just dug out a recipe from Jan 2004 Cook’s Illustrated. The method for “frying” the eggplant is game changing.

Game changer technique for “fried eggplant” for eggplant Parmesan:

Heat sheet pan in oven at 425F.

Meanwhile, shake sliced eggplant in plastic bag with 1 teas pepper & 1 cup flour. Dredge each piece in beaten eggs, then seasoned breadcrumbs and placed on rack over another (cool) sheet pan.

When oven & pan are heated, remove from oven and add 3 Tbls olive oil and distribute on pan with brush or spatula. Place eggplant in sheet pan and place in oven for 15 minutes. Remove pan, flip eggplant and replace in oven, rotating pan. Cook 15 more minutes.

Gorgeous browned eggplant for whatever recipe!"

Lee

Eggplants, fresh.JPG

Eggplants, oven fried.JPG

Eggplants, plated.JPG