Dutch oven lasagna

RNE228

I made up a recipe for our "Grump Patrol"(asst scoutmaster patrol) at our Troop campout this weekend at Fallen Leaf Lake, near Lake Tahoe.

1- onion, peeled and diced
1 or 2 - head garlic, de-husked and chopped coarsely
1 - 1lb package Italian sausage
1 - package lasagna noodles
1 - large jar of favorite spaghetti sauce
1 - package ricotta cheese
1 - wedge Parmesan

Get a large pot of water boiling, and cook pasta

In a skillet, saute the onion and garlic. Add Italian sausage, and cook till sausage is done.

Line dutch oven with foil.

Place a layer of noodles on bottom of dutch oven. Spoon meat/onion/garlic in a layer. place spoonfuls of ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Pour spaghetti sauce over. Sprinkle with rosemary and thyme if you got it. Do this in layers till out of ingredients(leave a little sauce and Parmesan for the top...).

Put the cover on the dutch oven. Put 8 briquettes under the oven, 12 on top. About 1/2 hour is good.

A store bought loaf of prepared French bread in foil cooks nicely if you lay it on top of the dutch oven while the lasagna cook(remember to turn it).

This turned out really good! Normally I would make my own sauce, but was in a hurry getting ready for the campout...

To go with it, I sauteed sliced zuchinne(sp...) in a skillet with a head of garlic and diced onion.