Dr. Chicken's Double-Smoked Ham

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is a wonderful recipe that I've made many times, and it appears in many BBQ forums around the internet.

Dr. Chicken has a lengthy post that details his techniques and recipes for this ham, both for the oven and for outside smokers. I always cook mine in my smoker, as I did last weekend.

Below is my short version of the recipe. I will provide a link to the full version, which includes his injection recipe (I have never used the injection recipe). http://forum.texasbbqrub.com/showthread.php?t=31411

Photos of my double-smoked ham from last weekend are at the bottom.

Lee

Dr. Chicken's Double-Smoked Ham (my short version)

1 fully-cooked ham

Glazing Sauce:

½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup (use dark grade B real maple syrup if available)(dark grade B has more flavor than grade A)
¼ cup honey
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 – 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp instant coffee granules (use a good brand because it makes a difference)
1 Tbsp dry ground mustard
2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate (a good brand provides better flavor)

Blend all ingredients in a sauce pan with a wire whip and heat slightly until everything combines into a viscous or thick looking sauce.

Cooking instructions

Score outer skin of ham to a depth of ½ inch in a crisscross diamond pattern. This will allow the glazing sauce to penetrate below the skin, into the actual ham. Bring smoker to 225-250 degrees. Place ham (un-glazed) in smoker, add two fist-sized wood chunks, and smoke ham to 120 degrees, internal. Baste ham 2-3 times until the internal temp is 140 degrees. Remove from smoker and allow to sit covered for 20 to 30 minutes before carving!

Attachments

• Dr. Chicken's Ham 1, scored, raw.JPG
    Dr. Chicken's Ham 1, scored, raw.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 931
  • Dr. Chicken's Ham 2, smoked.JPG
    Dr. Chicken's Ham 2, smoked.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 944
  • Dr. Chicken's Ham 3, sliced.JPG
    Dr. Chicken's Ham 3, sliced.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 944
  • Dr. Chicken's Ham 4, sliced 2.JPG
    Dr. Chicken's Ham 4, sliced 2.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 904
Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That's a work of art right there! Makes me want to just reach right in and pick off a piece.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
WOW...that sounds and looks absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!