Do you ever put food where it doesn't belong?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Yesterday evening I opened a bag of spinach for dinner, and decided to fold it, put a chip clip on the bag, and stick it back in the fridge. This morning I go to the pantry to get some cling wrap, and lo and behold there is the bag of spinach sitting in there! :bonk:

I know when I was younger, I used to try to put the milk jug into the glassware cabinet, but it's been a long time since I've made a bonehead move like that! I guess I just get my wires crossed sometimes!

I've left clipped bags of salad greens on the counter overnight, having accidentally covered them with something (dishcloth, etc.); & just the other day I tore the fridge apart looking for a can of ginger ale that I KNEW I'd put in there the night before. Where was it? In the vegetable crisper drawer. Lord only knows what I was thinking when I stuck it in there.

But then, I'm known at home as the QUEEN of putting things "in a safe place", & then never being able to remember the "safe place" again. Once I no longer need the item, THEN, of course, I always come across it.

Lefty

Yank
I have put the coffee pot in the fridge when I go to get out the half and half from time to time. But hey, I don't have any coffee in me and there is not a court in this great land that would blame me for that. :yum:

K

Kimchee

Had a roommate in college who was really bad for this. We often found misplaced food by the smell emanating from the cabinets.
Often, in the mornings, we just went to the tableware cabinet to get the soda bottle,
because this person ALWAYS got up at night, poured a glass, drank half and put the glass into the fridge....and the bottle where the glasses went!

vyapti

I once put a block of cheese in the bread drawer. One of my worst kitchen habits is putting dirty cookie sheets in the oven so they're out of my way, then forgetting to clean them. There's nothing like the smell of old food warming in a preheating oven.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I've absentmindedly put leftover food in the vegetable crisper drawer, then found the science experiment growing in there later.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I never do (not yet, anyway), but I am always getting up to find all sorts of stuff out on the counter that should have been put back in the fridge.

Your story about the cookie sheets made me laugh, vyapti. DH put the remaining pot roast from a Friday night dinner into the oven once, and then we went out of town for the weekend. By Monday, the kitchen had a very "distinctive" odor. Argh.

Yup - the used baking sheet or dish in the oven to get it out of the way in my tiny kitchen is a constant ploy here. Luckily, we've both gotten into the ingrained habit of always checking inside the oven before turning it on - lol!!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I once put a block of cheese in the bread drawer. One of my worst kitchen habits is putting dirty cookie sheets in the oven so they're out of my way, then forgetting to clean them. There's nothing like the smell of old food warming in a preheating oven.

I do this a lot.

buckytom

Grill Master
i sometimes leave food out that should be refrigerated when i get home from shopping. i left out a half pound of prosciutto the other day which dw thankfully put away.

also, i thought it would be neat to have some coconuts and a pineapple so we can eat like we're on a tropical island when we watch "survivor" tonight, but i left the coconuts on the counter a few days ago. does anyone know if the coconut milk will be safe to drink?

also, i thought it would be neat to have some coconuts and a pineapple so we can eat like we're on a tropical island when we watch "survivor" tonight, but i left the coconuts on the counter a few days ago. does anyone know if the coconut milk will be safe to drink?

Are you talking about coconuts in the shell, or the newer "young" peeled coconuts that are sometimes available? If the former, the milk only needs to be refrigerated once you crack those babies open & drain the liquid out. I'm not positive about the latter, which are always sold refrigerated around here.

Newnork1978

I don't place food where it shouldn't be, but I do have a tendency to forget something until it becomes a science experiment in the fridge. For example, if I make tuna salad I'll be sure to seal it in a container and place it in the fridge. I may make one or two sandwiches out of it, thinking DH will eat the rest, then next thing I know we're both trying to figure out what that "thing" is growing in the container a week or more later. Ha-ha! :huh:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I don't place food where it shouldn't be, but I do have a tendency to forget something until it becomes a science experiment in the fridge. For example, if I make tuna salad I'll be sure to seal it in a container and place it in the fridge. I may make one or two sandwiches out of it, thinking DH will eat the rest, then next thing I know we're both trying to figure out what that "thing" is growing in the container a week or more later. Ha-ha! :huh:
:yum:
My problem is, even though I only cook for myself usually, I shop like I am feeding an army..:bonk:
The leftovers at times get moved around to make space, then I forget about them.

Love the spork avatar! LOL

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Angel, I have the same problem for a different reason. DW will allow nothing to be thrown out. Even if the probability of eating it is at or near zero. We therefore are requires to age it until it takes on a markedly different appearance. She will then throw it out and bemoan the waste of food.

Oh, well - refrigerator "science experiments". That's a WHOLE different bugaboo - lol!! Especially a couple of weeks after a big cooking holiday or party. Sometimes I'm tempted to put my ear up against the fridge to see if I can hear anything running around. It seems that no matter how many times I go thru the fridge & throw things out, something always gets missed & hubby gets to play Henny Youngman with his "Mrs. Pasteur" jokes.

buckytom

Grill Master
Are you talking about coconuts in the shell, or the newer "young" peeled coconuts that are sometimes available? If the former, the milk only needs to be refrigerated once you crack those babies open & drain the liquid out. I'm not positive about the latter, which are always sold refrigerated around here.

thanks for the info, breezy.

these were in the shell, the larger football shaped husk removed.

as it turns out, the milk was pretty bland and yukky, but i was surprised to see the 3 coconuts yielded about a quart of milk. my plans for survival on a deserted island are still intact, lol.

i gave the meat of one to my neighbor who's mother was visiting from macedonia she had never had fresh coconut before.

i grilled the meat from another which was pretty good, but everyone seemed to just enjoy it raw. i saved 4 half shells for bikini tops...

buckytom

Grill Master
you'll just have to wait until the grass skirts come in... :D

muluka-looka-leka-heeeee

muluka-looka-leka-hooooo

hey, has anyone seen wasabi?

Bikini tops aside - my dad used to make little bird feeders & bird houses out of our leftover coconut shells. They were so cute, & the birds actually did use them.

buckytom

Grill Master
hey, that's a great idea, breezy!

i have 1 more coconut to split, and dw was balking at the bikini idea, anyway. my boy and i will still have ours, and the cats will have a little birdie show outside the window if i hang the feeder from the gutter. it's fun to watch the cats line up at the window, their little heads turning in unison like a radar dish array.