Dinner, September 15th.

buckytom

Grill Master
executing restraint with great prejudice, i waited until peeps and sass logged out before i posted this today. :wink:

dw is taking my boy out for a hair cut and to get some fall/winter clothes after school, so she asked me to make dinner tonight. when asked what she wanted, she said "surprise me". that can be a dangerous proposition, lol.

knowing what i have on hand, i thought of an old dish that her mom made that she loved: stuffed peppers. the only problem is i've never made stuffed peppers. :huh: do you make the filling from cooked ingredients, then bake (sort of dry)? should i braise them? in what liquid? will a crock pot work?

i have a number of green bells from my garden, and keeping it healthy i was thinking of going with a ground turkey and brown rice filling.

ok, so, now how do i make boring taste good? i'm not big on foods that could be considered to have an r value for insulation.

tia for your help.

so, what are you cooking today?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm, making a beef-stock
i'd make a consomme, 'cept i'm 2 groggy yet 4 clearmeats & halving eggs, skimming, & that-

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Ok Bucky are you a scart of the big bad girls? Why did you wait for Sass and I to log out?

Chicken tonight here.

WOW!! I haven't been to the Paterson farmers markets by the railroad tracks since Corrado Family Affair opened!! Is there still Fava and Corrado markets there? Is the butcher still next to Fava? I am going to have to go check them out again.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
We're going to a friend's house this evening for dinner, and she is serving smoked salmon fettuccine. I've got some bread rising to contribute, and will make some Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies as well. This is a HUGE day here in Mexico...well, the day is tomorrow, actually, but it starts at midnight tonight. September 16 is the bicentennial of Mexico's war of independence from Spain. My friend lives close to the town plaza, and after dinner, we will make our way to the plaza for fun and fireworks. At midnight, in every town in Mexico tonight, the top town official will go to the town plaza and re-enact the "Grito" or cry for Mexican independence, originally declared by Father Miguel Hidalgo in what is now Dolores Hidalgo, Guanajuato. So this is the Mexican equivalent of the US Fourth of July. The party starts today and extends all the rest of the week - all government offices are closed until next Monday.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We're going to a friend's house this evening for dinner, and she is serving smoked salmon fettuccine. I've got some bread rising to contribute, and will make some Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies as well. This is a HUGE day here in Mexico...well, the day is tomorrow, actually, but it starts at midnight tonight. September 16 is the bicentennial of Mexico's war of independence from Spain. My friend lives close to the town plaza, and after dinner, we will make our way to the plaza for fun and fireworks. At midnight, in every town in Mexico tonight, the top town official will go to the town plaza and re-enact the "Grito" or cry for Mexican independence, originally declared by Father Miguel Hidalgo in what is now Dolores Hidalgo, Guanajuato. So this is the Mexican equivalent of the US Fourth of July. The party starts today and extends all the rest of the week - all government offices are closed until next Monday.
WOW!! To bad we don't get 5 days for July 4th!! LOL Well have fun Karen!!

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies :applause:

PSSSSSSSSSST recipe please?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mexicans LOVE to celebrate, and they do it so well. At Christmas time, alot of offices close down from December 13 (the day of the Virgin of Guadalupe) all the way through January 6 (Three Kings' Day).

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I was going to prepare something with orecchiette, frozen peas and bacon to take to work with me. That never happened.
Sooooooo.. I don't know. Either something there, or I'll run out for something.. maybe Chinese.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, Sass - we're having Chinese tonight! Take out egg foo yung, pork fried rice, crab rangoons, Peking ravioli, and whatever else strikes QBro's fancy.

BT, if your wife loves stuffed peppers, she may just want you to go the tradtional route of ground meat, onions, rice (I cook them all pretty throroughly before stuffing), topped with tomato sauce.

But if you want to play around with recipes, this one from Giada looks good, especially the basil sauce! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ed-peppers-with-basil-sauce-recipe/index.html Also, I am a big fan of cous cous, so I will make her recipe.

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
stock prep;
then a broth of beef-base & a few adult drinks, & there's a few garlicky mustard eggs
(pickled).

vyapti

I made about 30 chickpea & tempeh burgers this weekend. So tonight's dinner will be easy: burgers, corn & tater tots.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
great dinner! i've begun 2 use tempeh, too, after a batch of chili a few vegans/vegetarians i knew made a chili w/ that. i essentially dined on thier turkey chili, although luved that tempeh 1, also-

GotGarlic

I have a meeting after work from 5:30-6:30, at a farmer's market :thumb: They have a cafe where you can buy dinners to go, so that's the plan for tonight. Not sure what's on the menu, so I don't know what it will be yet.

K

Kimchee

It's spaghetti and mini-meatballs night, with the required crisp salad and garlic bread.

vyapti

great dinner! i've begun 2 use tempeh, too, after a batch of chili a few vegans/vegetarians i knew made a chili w/ that. i essentially dined on thier turkey chili, although luved that tempeh 1, also-
I use grated tempeh a lot in burgers, sloppy joes, 'meat'loaf, etc. My favorite way, though, simmered in a Thai curry. It soaks up the flavor and gets juicy/tender, but not sloppy like tofu.

buckytom

Grill Master
congrats to your boy, mhend. :clap:

have fun, karen. viva mexico!

thanks phid and qsis for the recipes.

irish music, phid? do you have a bodhran and a banjo? tin whistle?
i'm guessing you're the fiddler. up sligo!!!!

peeps, the patertson market is still there: a strange mix of mexican, caribbean, asian, and middle eastern influences. fruit and veggie markets, butcher shops, fish mongers, dollar stores, and oriental carpets/imports.
and there's even a titty bar for the lonely guys, lol.
i want to go there one day and eat in the middle eastern restaurants, then stop off in a hookah bar afterwards for dessert. yum, a bowl, some ekmek kadayifi, and mint tea.

i've never heard of fava, but corrados has taken over the entire area past the tracks on the left as you head up crooks ave.. they have a beer and wine shop, a food supermarket, a pet supermarket, and clothing stores now.

ok, getting back on topic, i made my very first stuffed peppers. dw gave me a lot of advice on how her mom made them, a pretty traditional way with butter, ground beef, onions, and tomato soup.

i'm not a fan of tomato soup, so i followed my italian instincts and made a quick sauce with tomatoes from my garden, and used grapeseed oil instead of butter, and added fresh basil and garlic with the onions. also, keeping up the healthy theme, i used brown rice and ground turkey.

they came out great!! dw even commented that they were better than her mom's, especially how tender and sweet my green peppers were (also from my garden). i knew she and my boy liked them 'cause i made 7 peppers and only 2 are left.

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

set up some Boston Baked Beans for the office picnic tomorrow they're in the crock now so hopefully by morning they will be done... so dinner will be a low effort affair... got a nice rib eye in the wings getting hungry.

picture.php

yep it was man night nice big rare steak... YUM

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Congrats to your son, mhend! BT - looks like you invented a wonderful new stuffed pepper recipe. Pancho - your steak looks scrumptious! Sass and Peeps - wish I had a good Chinese take-out here. We have a new small Chinese restaurant a few miles from us that is not bad, in the shopping complex with our big grocery store. The people who own it are Chinese - they don't speak any English, and not much Spanish. We have a friend who is Chinese, and has lived here for 31 years. He is teaching them Spanish. It's an interesting world!

Our dinner last night was wonderful - smoked sockeye salmon from Washington state and linguini, with a wonderful made-from-scratch Caesar salad. All accompanied by a liberal amount of tequila. The culinary highlight, however, ended up being the fresh, hot churros we bought in the plaza for three pesos each (about 25 cents US). Rolled in cinnamon sugar, they were hot enough to burn your tongue. Loads of people, lots of noise, lots of national pride...we enjoyed being part of it here in our adopted home.

Phiddlechik

BTom: yes, bodhran, couple of fiddles, guitar (a couple of guys switch off on guitar and mandolin, so as to only have one backup at a time, one also plays whistles), flute (silver and Irish, she also plays whistles, a variety).