Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
If you don't have a pressure cooker because you have been afraid of pressure cookers. They are fool-proof nowadays so "fear no more". This is the one that I have and I absolutely love it. It cuts way down on cooking time.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2d0_auXpuc[/ame]

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a the Fagor stainless that works on my induction stove. I comes with a 4 qt and 8 qt. I love it too but don't need one as large as it is just my wife and I cooking for ourselves. Never made a meal for many with one but maybe some day I might get one for canning but have been saying that for years and yet to do it. I love it for making a lot of different things and they are fool proof today unlike the one I was raised around that could do some damage. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Fagor 7 pc Pressure Cooker 1.jpg
    Fagor 7 pc Pressure Cooker 1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Fagor 7 pc Pressure Cooker 2.jpg
    Fagor 7 pc Pressure Cooker 2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 204

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Does the size make a big difference? Killer many I am cooking basically for one, sometimes two. I would also like to can food. So, of I got one big enough for canning, is there a downside for small meals?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It would really depend upon what you want to can.

If you wanted to can quarts, you would need a 16-18 quart pressure canner which would be way to big for small meals.

If you wanted to can high acid foods, you would really need one with a pressure gauge to be on the safe side.

If you wanted to can pint or half pint jars that were low acid, a regular 6-8 quart should work fine.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Does the size make a big difference? Killer many I am cooking basically for one, sometimes two. I would also like to can food. So, of I got one big enough for canning, is there a downside for small meals?

Adillo303, here are 2 pics of mine!

It's a 16-qt Presto pressure canner. Accommodates up to 7 qt-size Mason jars at once. You can also use it to make crowd-size diashes, like soups and stews. :weber:

Attachments

• Presto 16-qt Pressure Canner..jpg
    Presto 16-qt Pressure Canner..jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Presto 16-qt Pressure Canner..jpg 2.jpg
    Presto 16-qt Pressure Canner..jpg 2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I am not trying to be difficult. What is way too big and how does it affect pressure cooking meat?

I have read a few threads over time about pressure cooking and off and on want one. The idea of basically "Steamed meat" does not do a lot for me. Steamed veggies, now there is something that I can do. One of my diet "things" was to eat basically the same size meal, maybe even a bit bigger, only less of the plate has meat and more of the plate has veggies. I even found that I like it. My faithful steamer basket gets washed after each meal and stays on the stove. I even have steamed veggies for a snack.

So with that said, cooking my veggies quicker would be neat. After all, snacks are a kind of instant gratification thing. Canning has always been an interest that I never got to. I am enamored of the all American cookers and for that kind of a price, I would like to get double duty.

http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamericanpressurecanner.htm

Shermie

Site Supporter
My 6-qt Fagor unit can be used for pressure canning, but it probably can only accommodate up to 3 1-qt Mason jars at most. :corn:

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 192

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
If you are only canning pints or 1/2 pints, I would think a 6 to 8 quart would be fine. You could definitely use that to cook meat and/or veggies in. I don't know if that size would be deep enough for quarts.

I've never used a pressure canner so I really don't know how it works but I don't think you would be able to use it if you were doing a water bath.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
If you are only canning pints or 1/2 pints, I would think a 6 to 8 quart would be fine. You could definitely use that to cook meat and/or veggies in.

Now, I could be wrong but, whenever you can something, you have to sit the jars on a rack and they have to be covered by at least an inch of water. Since you are not supposed to fill a pressure cooker more than 2/3 full, I can't imagine that size being deep enough to use for canning quarts. If you want to can quarts, you would need a big'in like Shermie has. You wouldn't want to lug that thing out for something small.

Also, if you are canning something with a high acid content, you really should have a pressure gauge to make sure the pressure is correct to avoid botulism. I don't know that the smaller cookers have those.

Also, the U.S. Deptment of Agriculture recommends that you DON'T pressure can anything in Mason jars smaller than 1 qt. Conventional water-bath method only, is used for these.

And when canning meats, fruits, veggies, soups, stews and whatever else, if the lids on the jars don't have a slight indentation, then the process didn't work. In other words, if you can rmove the lids without some difficulty, then put the canned products in the fridge to avoid botulism, spoilage and food poisoning.

It is also recommended that you don't seal the rims around the lids too tightly. Just enough to keep the water and excess moiture from getting into the jars. And when you're done canning, let the jars of food cool completely before putting them away.

But the one MOST IMPORTANT thing of all;

You MUST WASH ALL OF THE EQUIPMENT FIRST AND THEN STERILIZE EVERYTHING THAT THE FOOD IS TO BE CANNED IS TO COME IN CONTACT WITH!!! THIS IS TO HELP ASSURE THAT NO GERMS OR BACTERIA GET PAST YOU AND INTO THE JARS OR THE CANNING PROCESS!!!!!!

It might also be a good idea to wash your hands in water as hot as your hands can stand and with an antibacterial soap, then wear latex gloves during the whole porcess until you take the canned (jarred) foods out of the canner.

It won't hurt to follow all of these proceedures, and do a dry run before you get started. And whatever food it is that you're preparing for canning, THAT has to ber washed and clean also!!

Sure, this might seem like an astronomically time-consuming task, but it is much better to be safe than to be sorry. :wink:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
of course, if I were to get an electric pressure cooker, I would not use it for pressure canning.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's yet another pressure cooker, called the Nordicware Microwave Tender Cooker.

As we all know, it is used in the microve oven.

I had thought about getting one a while back, but didn't. :wink:

Attachments

• nordic-ware-microwave-tender-cooker.jpg
    nordic-ware-microwave-tender-cooker.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 187

Shermie

Site Supporter
It looks way too small anyway!! So, I don't think that it would be a good idea for me either.

Shermie

Site Supporter
If you don't have a pressure cooker because you have been afraid of pressure cookers. They are fool-proof nowadays so "fear no more". This is the one that I have and I absolutely love it. It cuts way down on cooking time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2d0_auXpuc

I was going to go over to BB&B today to look and see if they had the Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker like yours there Mama, but the lowsey stinking weather was just too miserable and kept me indoors!!

I was just too afraid of ending up getting sick!!! So I stayed in the house. Maybe tomorrow, things might be a little bit more accommodating. just can't wait for spring to get here!!! :yuk:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I hope you find it Shermie. If they have it I'm sure they'll have it when the weather clears up too.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I hope you find it Shermie. If they have it I'm sure they'll have it when the weather clears up too.

Went to BB&B today and saw two units in their boxes, Mama.

What I DIDN'T like was when I pulled one of the boxes out, I found out that the box was tampered with!!! Some jerk had ripped part of the top open and the whole top was loose!!!

Pulled out the box behind that one, and found that one tampered with as well!! The top was taped closed, ,but the flap was out, indicating that that box was also tampered with!!

I was LIVID!! Asked the store clerk if there were any more in the back. He cheacked, and told me that the only two left were the ones I saw out on the floor!!

I wasn't buying either one of those because it was an indication that something could very well be missing, broken or damaged!! The clerk was very apologetic. I told him that a sale was lost because shoppers just can't leave stuff alone and that they won't stay out of the boxes of some of the items on display!!

That infuriates me to no end!!! There I was, ready to buy one of the Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cookers, and some blasted stupid idiot ruined if for me!! I asked the clerk to have a sign posted, telling shoppers not to open the boxes of items on display, because someone might want to buy the item!! What stark-raving idiocy!!! :furious::furious::furious:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't blame you either Shermie....especially a pressure cooker.

I bought mine at Costco but they also have them on amazon.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I saw it on Amazon.com as well.

The problem with that though, is that they'll send oit via UPS, and I either have to freeze half to death waiting outside for the truck, or be stuck home all day waiting for them to show up.

The clerk DIID however, check other BB&B stores and found some that have it, so next time, I'll look there.

Shermie

Site Supporter
In two weeks, I'll go to one of the OTHER BB&B stores to see if the unit is there, AND IN COMPLETELY CLOSED SEALED BOXES!!

I will NOT go back to the same one that I went to earlier this month!! Chances are that those 2 units in those tampered boxes are still there!

They should send them back to the manufacturer, have them checked out to see if the units are alright make sure that everything that is supposed to come with the units are there and put them in new boxes.

Why on earth do people like to do that, tamper with merchandise in their sealed boxes, it is beyond me!!! :furious::furious: