Chinese roasted pork

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I used to make my own char sui Chinese BBQ sauce, but a friend introduced me to store-bought Ah-So Sauce, which tastes as authentic as what you get in a Chinese restaurant, and a lot easier to just brush on.

First, I brushed it on some thick bone-in country style ribs. Roasted at 350 for an hour and 10 minutes, then putting them under the broiler for a few minutes to char them up a bit more.

Had two meals of that.

Then I wanted to make Oven Baked "Fried" Rice with the leftover ribs, but I didn't think I had enough meat. So I bought a cheap pork steak, slathered both sides of THAT with Ah-So Sauce, and roasted for an hour and 10 minutes.

Cut all the meat off the bones and diced. Added it to the Oven Baked Fried Rice at the end, along with sliced green onions and three scrambled eggs.

OOOOoooo BABY!

Here's the link to the recipe for Oven "Fried" Rice http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=254417&postcount=1

Lee

Ah-So sauce in squeeze bottle

Ah So Sauce squeeze bottle.jpg

Roasted Ah-So country style ribs

Ah So baked country style ribs.JPG

Country rib, plated

Ah So rib plated.JPG

Roasted Ah-So pork steak

Ah So baked pork steak.JPG

Bowl of diced Ah-So pork meat

Bowl of cubed Ah So pork.JPG

Finished Oven Baked "Fried" Rice

Baked fried rice, finished.JPG

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Dag, that looks GOOD, QSis!!

Ah-So Sauce used to come in the jar only. It's about TIME they put it in a SQUEEZE BOTTLE!!

lilbopeep

🌹 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Lee,

I found the green glass bottle of Ah-So (not the red squeeze bottle). I have a boneless pork loin roast maybe 1.5 - 2 lbs. I want to make the red pork for fried rice, egg rolls and wonton soup.
My questions are:
(1) Should I leave the roast whole or slice the pork into medium size chos/steaks or just slice the roast long ways?
(2) After I slather on the sauce on all sides what temperature and for how long do I roast (the sliced or whole)?

I just made chicken stock from leftover rotis chicken and bones for the wonton soup.

Thanks in advance.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peep,

If you are just using the pork to make fried rice, you might want the Ah-So sauce on as much surface area as possible.

My friend cuts the pork into chunks and tosses the pork with the Ah-So. Roast the cubed pork at 350 for probably 30 minutes, checking after 20 minutes for char and done-ness.

If you have to further cut the pork into smaller, bite-sized pieces when it's done, that's fine. Looks prettier to see some of the light-colored meat against the charred red outside.

However, if you are first going to roast the pork and serve it sliced for dinner, just keep it whole and slather it all over. Roast at 350 for maybe an hour, or 140-145 degrees internal temp.

The only thing you have to worry about is drying out the pork by cooking it too long.

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peep,

If you are just using the pork to make fried rice, you might want the Ah-So sauce on as much surface area as possible.

My friend cuts the pork into chunks and tosses the pork with the Ah-So. Roast the cubed pork at 350 for probably 30 minutes, checking after 20 minutes for char and done-ness.

If you have to further cut the pork into smaller, bite-sized pieces when it's done, that's fine. Looks prettier to see some of the light-colored meat against the charred red outside.

However, if you are first going to roast the pork and serve it sliced for dinner, just keep it whole and slather it all over. Roast at 350 for maybe an hour, or 140-145 degrees internal temp.

The only thing you have to worry about is drying out the pork by cooking it too long.

Lee
Thank you Lee.

I think I will roast it whole then. Some will the cubed for fried rice and egg rolls. Some will be sliced then for roast pork and bok choy. And some will be cut into thin strips for wonton soup.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Peep,

Lee

It should be cooked to an internal temp of about 145 degrees, I think. :bbq:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Ok so I bought some hoisin sauce and am going to try mixing a bit of Ah-So in with the hoisin (Ah-so for flavor and the red color and hoisin for the flavor) and do my pork tonight.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thank you Lee.

I think I will roast it whole then. Some will the cubed for fried rice and egg rolls. Some will be sliced then for roast pork and bok choy. And some will be cut into thin strips for wonton soup.

Sounds like a Chinese feast!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Sounds like a Chinese feast!
Thats the plan.

Wonton soup for tomorrow.

I just can't shake this stinking cold. I felt better for a couple days now it has hit me again full force. I can't taste or smell a thing :( Maybe I got another cold from someone I don't know but I am drinking tea w/ lemon and honey, popping vitamin C and probiotics, vitamin D3 and a multi vits and stil can't shake it totally. My nose looks like rudolph and hurts like crazy from blowing it! Lanolin on the tender skin helps a bit.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you Lee for the inspiration!! XOXOXOXO

I made the BBQ pork and it was wonderful in the Wonton soup.

I used equal amounts of the Ah-So BBQ sauce and Hoisin sauce. Cut the boneless pork loin roast into medium size flat chunks and tossed them in the sauce then put them on a foil line tray. I put them in the oven set on convection roast 350F for 20 minutes turned then another 20 minutes. They turned out nicely browned. What a wonderful flavor. I can't wait to use it in the fried rice and egg rolls.

I will try to remember to get a picture of the chunks before I cut them up.

Here's a picture of the soup.

013013_wonton_soup_P1090731.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
PERFECT, Peep!

I just ate dinner, but that picture makes my mouth water!

Great job!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Brava, Peep!

I hope they appreciate all you are doing for them, feeling as crummy as you do!

Lee

thegrindre

I just absolutely love the Chinese cuisine. I have a wonderful carbon steel wok and eat Asian all the time.
I'm going to have to try this.
Hey, is that sauce hot and spicy?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Brava, Peep!

I hope they appreciate all you are doing for them, feeling as crummy as you do!

Lee

Dag, that looks DELISH!!! :bbq3::readytoeat:
Thank you both.

I think I am going to have to call the doctor today. I think the cold has moved into my ear. I may have an ear infection because my right ear is hurting badly especially when I sneeze or blow my nose.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

No, Rick, not at all - the Ah-So sauce is sweet. That's why it chars so beautifully.

If you like spicy, you could mix some Chinese hot mustard into the sauce.

Lee

thegrindre

NO no, I can't eat hot and spicy.
I've been trying to find a homemade recipe and all have hot sauce in them which I'll leave out, of course.
I may try a jar of it. My Wally World has it on the shelf.

Thanks,

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Rick.

The Ah-So isn't overly sweet or spicy.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just absolutely love the Chinese cuisine. I have a wonderful carbon steel wok and eat Asian all the time.
I'm going to have to try this.

Hi, buddy!!

You made it here!! So glad to have you here also!!!

Yeah, I like Chinese cuisine as well and Polynesian also!!

I got a big cast iron wok. Pity though, Can't shake or move the thing to toss the food being stir-fried on account it's too heavy!!

I may get a lighter wok just for that purpose!! :bbq3: