Chilaquiles

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
The original recipe was from a vegetarian Mexican cookbook. We just added chicken because, well, Craig's not real fond of vegetarian meals. I don't have any pictures of this because it's not real photogenic. This can be a brunch, lunch or dinner dish, and can be served with black beans or refried beans to stretch the servings. It can be easily doubled, tripled, etc.

3-4 servings

1/2 Cup or more as needed vegetable oil
12 Small or 6 large, stale corn or flour tortillas, cut into 1" strips

2 skinless chicken thighs, can use bone-in or boneless
4 Medium tomatoes, finely chopped. about 1 pound
1 Small onion, finely chopped
2 Poblanos, 2 jalapeno or 4 serrano chiles, stemed, seeded and finely chopped (or a mix if you like spicy)
1 tsp dried epazote or dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
2-3 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4-1/2 Cup water or vegetable broth (if making the Chicken Chilaquiles, use chicken stock in place of the water)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Cup grated semi-soft cheese (Monterey Jack, muenster, Chihuahua, Cotija, Queso Fresco or a combination, about 3oz)
1 Cup Mexican crema or creme fraiche
1/4 Cup Copped cilantro/corriander leaves (optional)
A pinch or 2 of freshly ground cumin plus more if using chicken

Over medium heat, heat the oil in a large saute pan. Once hot, fry the strips in batches until golden brown, drain on paper towels. Set strips aside. Spoon or pour out most of remaining oil.

If using chicken, season with salt, pepper and cumin on both sides. Over medium high heat, brown chicken on each side, then turn to medium and let cook for an additional few minutes on each side. It doesn't have to be entirely done as it will be cooked further later. Set aside to cool and then chop or shred.

Meanwhile, cook peppers, onions and tomatoes until soft. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute or 2. Add salt, pepper, oregano/epazote, and cumin. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes. Add 1/4 cup liquid if mixture appears dry. Add chicken and cook covered for an additional 5-10 minutes or so to meld flavors and finish cooking chicken if needed. Flatten mixture out to an even layer in pan with back of large spoon. Spread crema over. Sprinkle cheese over. Cover pan and let cheese melt. Sprinkle cilantro on top and then serve with fried tortilla strips.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Karen!

So, do you serve the chicken/veg. mixture over the crispy tortillas?

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
You're welcome. Either over or under. We just kind of break them up and mix with the rest when we serve. They get soggy really quick.

I didn't note specifically, but I cook it all in the same pan from start to finish.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a little bit of everything this recipe calls for, so gave it a shot.

Great! Seasoning the chicken with toasted, ground cumin is wonderful!

I added some shredded Mexican cheese blend, and served with a green salad.

Bet this would be delicious with ground beef, too!

Thanks, med!

Lee

Attachments

• mexican 1 strips.JPG
    mexican 1 strips.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 311
  • Mexican 2 browned thighs.JPG
    Mexican 2 browned thighs.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 310
  • Mexican 3 mixture.JPG
    Mexican 3 mixture.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 316