Chicken Salad

LADawg

I’m not trying to brag, (well maybe I am a little):smile:, but I have come up with a recipe for Chicken Salad that my wife and I along with a few others think is the best we have ever eaten. I think the secret to the taste is 1. Use baked chicken thighs and not some boiled chicken or baked chicken breast. 2. The finely chopped purple onion. 3. The lemon pepper seasoning. And 3. The green grapes.
If you make this and use something other than these then the taste will not be the same.
WENDELL’S CHICKEN SALAD
4 Chicken Thighs, boneless skinless
Lemon Pepper, to taste
2 Tablespoons Purple Onion, or to taste finely diced
1 Tablespoon Pickle Relish, or to taste
2 Eggs, boiled and chopped
1 Cup Grapes, green, cut into quarters, or more to taste
Mayonnaise, good quality, as needed
Wash and pat dry Chicken Thighs. Season with Lemon Pepper and other herbs or spices to taste. Place Chicken on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 22 minutes. Turn chicken and bake for another 22 minute.
Remove and allow to cool for about 15 minutes or until it is cool enough to handle. Cut cooked Chicken into small pieces about the size of a dime or smaller. Place cut up Chicken in a large mixing bowl.
Add finely chopped Onion, Pickle Relish, chopped boiled Eggs, and quartered Grapes. Stir to mix well. Stir in Mayonnaise a little at a time until the Chicken Salad the amount of Mayonnaise is the amount you like in Chicken Salad.
Place in a lidded container and refrigerate for 4 hours or more.
Serve in Pita Bread, or on Saltines, in other types of bread as a sandwich or on lettuce as a salad.
NOTES: 1. Amounts of diced Onion and Pickle Relish may be decreased or increased to
taste.
2. Herbs such as Italian Herb mix may be lightly sprinkled on the Chicken.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Re: Chciken Salad

.....another tasty printed for the 2 try stack . . .

my stack groweth . . (g)

Cooksie

Site Supporter
A couple of weeks ago, I bought all the ingredients for a chicken salad like this. Before I got around to making it, all the grapes were gone :glare:.

Your recipe sounds great. Grapes are going back on my grocery list.

Do you make shrimp salad?

LADawg

I have not made shrimp salad but would like to give it a try, If you have a good recipe how about letting me know.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have made shrimp salad, LAdawg. I think it's on here somewhere. It's good, but it's not the best I've ever eaten. I was just hoping shrimp salad was something else that you had played around with and come up with a best ever version.

JW - If I'm lucky enough to get lobster or king crab, I want to eat it just like it comes from the shell with a little melted butter. To me it's a shame to drown the taste of either with a bunch of other stuff...that's just me though :).

Johnny West

I know but dungeness crab is common here and easy to make use of for lots of dishes. I don't often get lobster and am not tired of it, by any means, but enjoy it in different didshes. I'm not like my son, he's sick of it. :sad: I should be so lucky.

I agree on the shrimp, most are so flavourless, why bother? I've been lucky to get spot shrimp locally and they are quite tasty and would be good in a salade.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
In the town I grew up in, there was a catering company and then a restaurant that made this really good chicken salad. It sounds kind of odd, but it is really good, even more so when served with their special ice tea. On the link, there is a quote about little old ladies from the owner, and it's not far from the absolute truth. You learned to get there early for lunch because when they were out, they were OUT until the next day.

http://cookiteasy.net/recipe/california-chicken-salad-898183.html

Iced tea, this is the closest recipe I can find on line and my Ninth Street House cookbook is at my daughter's several hours away as she wanted some recipes out of it. The only thing is this recipe omits the muddled fresh mint leaves.
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/ir4pm75v/house-of-grace-iced-tea.html oh, and it is southern SWEET tea.

Johnny West

I surprised myself -- it came out pretty good. I left the tomatoes and avocado out to add at the table. I used all homemade mayo and no yogurt, as well.

The chicken was good but would have loved some smoke with it. she requested no smoke and with recipe it's probably a good thing.

Attachments

• #Chix Salade.jpg
    #Chix Salade.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 104
  • #Chix Salade II.jpg
    #Chix Salade II.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 110
  • #Chix Salade IIIjpg.jpg
    #Chix Salade IIIjpg.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 114