Check out those melons!!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I love cantaloupe, watermelon, crenshaw, honeydew and love when I can get them locally grown. So far, I've had two great cantaloupes down here.

I love fruit and cottage cheese for breakfast, and these melons are perfect. I also like to grill them and serve them in salads, and with a plate of sharp provolone and sopresata it's bliss.

What about you..? What are you doing with melons this time of year??

AllenOK

We've started getting some good and sweet watermelons around here. I'm not really a melon person. I'll eat watermelon, as long as it's cold and sugar-sweet. The others, I'll have to pass.

My melons are spectacular!

Melon & prosciutto salad. I change it out depending on what's on hand, i.e. melon of choice (I like cantaloupe), prosciutto, diced avocado, red onions, sliced black olives w/ feta or fresh mozzarella.

Slices of melon & avocado wrapped in prosciutto.

Chilled melon soup(s) - honeydew with yogurt and honey or lime juice & lime zest.

I fill half a cantaloupe with either cottage cheese or tuna salad, when I want a cool light lunch. Crab salad is another way to go.

Antipasto kebabs - strawberries, chunks of melon, mozzarella etc.

Watermelon & feta salad.

I would like to try my hand at a fruit sorbet or melon ice cream, when I get an ice cream
machine/maker.

Slices of watermelon topped with crab salad.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is sooooooooo not what I was expecting when I came into this thread!!!! :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

:hide:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I love cantaloupe slices on the side with some neptune salad.
Watermelon -- with a little salt.. yum!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I used to scoop out the seeds of half a melon, then pour jello liquid into it. After it set, I'd slice the melon with the jello inside. Very 1950s, but pretty cool on a plate.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
At the top of my "to try" list is a watermelon/feta/onion salad like Unconundrum posted in the dinner thread a couple of days ago.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
At the top of my "to try" list is a watermelon/feta/onion salad like Unconundrum posted in the dinner thread a couple of days ago.

Ohhhh, I forgot about that one, Cooksie! Yes, that caught my imagination, too! :bounce:

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I made dinner for my parents tonight, and the first course was a salad. Romaine lettuce tossed with an orange olive oil and champagne vinegar. Then, sliced cantaloupe on top. Bacon and roasted corn topped that, and then gorgonzola and candied walnuts.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First course????

That would have been dinner, for me! Well, that and maybe a chunk of bread.

Yumm!

Lee

AllenOK

Bucky, keltin, I completely understand your thinking process. As many of Vera's wonderful posts as I've read, I was expecting it to be about melons, just like it turned out to be. However, I was expecting some pic's of exquisite platings of gorgeous fruit.

We were robbed!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
You're right..I should have photo'ed the plate. I'm still working at getting used to the heat...:kiss:

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Not sure I posted the recipe. You can find it HERE

Had a Crenshaw mellon tonight... not sure what to do with it. I have it cut up, and sitting with the ice packs... everyone's picking at it :) Don't think I have enough left for a salad.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Not sure I posted the recipe. You can find it HERE

Had a Crenshaw mellon tonight... not sure what to do with it. I have it cut up, and sitting with the ice packs... everyone's picking at it :) Don't think I have enough left for a salad.

Thanks! I'll be trying that real soon, probably July 4th.